1999 Suzuki DT 140 Lower Unit Problems HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Suzuki DT 140 Lower Unit Problems HELP

Here is the background. I have twin DT 140's on my boat. Last fall I decided to replace the water pumps because I had a suspicion that they had never been changed. After removing the water pumps from both motors I decided to replace the corroded Drive Shaft housings as well. I purchased the assemblies for both motors. I installed all of the new parts and put the motors back together. I ran each motor for about 20 minutes on the hose with ear muffs and then took them to the water. As I began to throttle up to plane the boat off about half way up on plane the port motor makes a runaway sound as if the prop had slipped then the motor locked up. I eased back on the other engine and when I got the boat home I discovered the port LU was locked up. I tore it down to the Drive Shaft housing and that bearing had locked up. The needles were everywhere. I drained the oil from the lower unit and it had metal shavings in it but no chunks.

Repair, replace LU where do I begin? What did I do wrong? Thanks in advance for your replies.

The model number on my plate only says DT140. How can I tell if it is a 20 or 25" length. I am trying to find another lower unit. THanks

James

Comment

Measure from top of tramson [ bracket] to bottom of the hull, cavatation plate should be flush with hull 10mm +/- won't hurt

Comment

I had already measured so I did not quite pull the measurements you were speaking of. I got 27.5" from the top of the drive shaft to the top of the lower unit. This would be below the water pump. I'm thinking this is a 25" shaft unit.

Comment

Working...
        X