99 DT 140 EFI stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 DT 140 EFI stalling

I have had a 99 DT140 fuel injected engine for 5 years and haven't had any problems with it until now. It sat for about 3 months and when I went to start it the high pressure fuel pump didn't come on. I replaced the high pressure fuel pump ($$$ OUCH!), the plugs, the fuel filters, the fuel water separator, primer bulb and fuel line, and the diaphrams in the mechanical fuel pump. I have replaced the gas and blown through all the lines. I've done a physical inspection of the fuel injectors and there wasn't any corrosion or dirt visible. The cylinders each show 120 psi.

Here is the problem the engine will start but after a few seconds the alarm will sound and the temp, rev limit, and check engine lights will come on, sometimes it will stall, sometimes it won't. Eventually it will stall out. According to the manual there can be codes that flash on the gauges when you turn the key, but there aren't any. When you turn the key the alarm sounds for a couple of seconds the lights come on and then turn off like they always have Any ideas?

99 DT 140 EFI stalling

Does it stall out if you raise the revs slightly, may just be idling to low

Comment

Yes it stalls if I rev it up. Since my last post I sent my fuel injectors to be cleaned. Still having the same problem. Does anybody have any ideas?

Comment

Take off the Vapor Separator and see if there is a blockage at the fuel inlet where the float needle shuts off fuel. If the fuel diaphragm let parts loose they will get stuck there and block your fuel flow.

Oil sensor will throw a code, so make sure it works and the check valve is open allowing oil to flow. See if its dripping into the vapor separator by disconnecting the hose. I also found that the oil tank cap has a vent and if it gets stuck it will create a vacuum and set off the oil sensor.

BTW 120 psi is good, but factory is 140.

Comment

Check the fuel pressure at the rail between 30-50psi. If fuel pressure is good you most likely have an ignition issue.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X