1980 spirit 65 no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 spirit 65 no spark

my 1980 spirit dt 65 with manual tilt has no spark and I am going to junk this motor if I cannot get any help from a suzuki spe******t. Once again I tested every wire on this motor and the only problem I can find is that there is no power coming from the P.E.I. unit to the coil. Would someone please help me out.
    Last edited by xtremedetail; 02-06-2011, 11:41 PM.

jarveyb414

The P.E.I. or otherwise known as a CDI, (capacitive discharge ignition) receives a pulse from the primary ignition coil on the stator under the flywheel. The c.d.i. uses this pulse to send a signal to the ignition coil and fires the spark plug. To test for a pulse from the stator if you don't have an rms meter,
    use an analog vom (needle type volt meter, not a digital type) and use alligator clips between the L/R and W/R flat plug coming from the stator and set the vom on dc on the lowest scale, usually 2.5v and crank the engine and watch for a pulse on the vom needle. If you have a pulse, check continuity between the wires thru the coil. My bet is you have no pulse from the c.d.i., this is common with the older DT models especially if they haven't been run for awhile. Forget trying to find a used c.d.i., they aren't there and if you find one it probably won't work. The only known source I found is boats.net for $408.00. If you decide to junk the engine call me, I'll buy it for parts. (850) 997-3467. Bud.

Comment

Working...
    X