DT30 CDI unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT30 CDI unit

My friend contacted me from Papua New Guinea. He has a "96" DT30. It does not say DT30c any where on it. Is this a foreign model not serviceable in the USA? I am thinking about parts if I need to send him some.

He has one cylinder not working. He rebuilt the carby and replaced cylinder rings. Same problem. Both plugs fire. If he swaps plugs, the same cylinder fires as before. The engine runs but if he removes the one plug wire, there is no change in the engine's performance. I have suggested he check the exhaust to be sure it isn't plugged, check the fuel/air to be sure it is reaching the cylinder, to check to see if there is a bent sheer pin that may be affecting the timing, to pull the plug and insert thumb to see if any compression (maybe a valve stuck open?). Do you have anything else to suggest?

He is concerned about the CDI module and wants to know how to check it. If he has spark, isn't this an indication that the module is OK? He asked where the coil is and how to check it. I assume there isn't one. If there was a single coil, then it should be OK if the one cylinder fires. If each cylinder had its own coil, then maybe . . .

Any thoughts?

Dale.

Yes he needs to start with a compression test to see cylinder compression is even. Could be dirty carb, ruptured diaphram in fuel pump, bad crankcase seal or air leak on intake, bad reed valve, or an ignition problem.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X