2010 9.9HP not pumping water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 9.9HP not pumping water

We have a brand new 2010 9.9hp for a kicker. Went to use it for the 1st time on Sat & it does not pump water consistently. We'd start the motor, it'd pump & then stop. We'd turn the motor off, start it again, & it may or may not pump. Very frustrating for a brand new motor.

We found out some additional information. When our motor sits in the water, the cavitation plate is about 6" into the water, which means that the water level is lower than the impeller. We removed the motor & ran it on shore, in a garbage can. If the water level is brought up about another 1", so it is equal to the impeller, it pumps water just fine. We even removed the water to about 1" above the cavitation plate & it continued pump water just fine. When the engine is turned off at the lower water level, the water pump loses it's prime & drains. Upon restarting the motor, the water level must be brought back up in order for it to pump water correctly.

Due to the installation of the motor, there is no easy way for us to lower it into the water any more. Is there any modification that can be made or any accessory added to keep the water pump primed?
    Last edited by willin; 05-17-2011, 12:31 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

It's ok for the water pump to lose prime.
      If you're motor isn't pumping water when you're going along in the boat then I would say you have the wrong motor for the boat.
      Maybe you need a longer shaft motor.
      The inlet for the pump is right on the bottom side of the cavitation plate.
      Make sure it's not clogged up internally. And if it were mine I would pull the lower unit off and make sure the water pump impeller isn't damaged.
      That alone could be the problem.

Comment

Working...
      X