Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF150 touchy controls, short throttle throw

Hi, wondering if anyone can help.

I have a new DF150 bolted to a 21' triple toon. I'm really impressed with it this engine, and I'm looking forward to long service life. We're half-way through break-in, and I've followed mfr. instrs. to the letter.

But I do have a concern.

The controls are very touchy and hyper-responsive to the slightest movement, esp. in reverse. I am estimating, but 3/4" or so of mvmt results in like a 1500 RPM response. Worse in reverse. It's really hard to work with, especially navigating the crowded docks of our marina.

I know there's a friction adjustment, but friction isn't the problem. The throw of the throttle controls is too tight, or short. Can it be adjusted? We have the standard "gray box" Suzuki controls.

I asked our Suzuki dealer, he seemed to convey to me that it was something I had to get used to. I'm coming off a 2 stroke Merc and while there is no comparison in the engines, the Suzuki is light years ahead, the Merc's controls were precise and balanced.

I have to spin my pontoon around between 2 piers lined with expensive boats. There may be 35'+/- to work with. Yesterday in the 30 knot winds and swift current, and struggling to master that fickle throttle, it took every ounce of patience and docking skill I have to NOT put a nasty gouge in a $150K Formula. Not to mention I'd rather not be an idiot churning up the water dockside, rocking everyone's boats.

Love the engine. Not thrilled with the controls.

I'm wondering now if the prop is at all related to the throttle. I think it is underpropped. @ 5900 RPMs there seems like lots of room left in the throttle - and I can feel the engine has more to give. That's with the typical load, just my wife and I on board with 25 gals fuel and gear. I wonder how much of this is actually prop related. My dealer was sure the 17P was right, it seemed light to me. I now think maybe I was right, 19P is the place to be. He needs to test it when he gets it for the 20 hr svc. Maybe sooner.

Any thoughts are much appreciated, thanks in advance.
    John
    Last edited by neptoon21tt; 05-27-2011, 08:16 AM.

No thoughts from anyone on this... well I talked to our Suzuki dealer in more detail, guess there's no adjustment for the throttle throw. It is what it is.

Now I wonder if mine is different than others. We test same boat in 23' with a DF175, I don't recall having this same over-responsiveness.

Comment

Same thing with brand new 175

Hi - did you ever get to the bottom of this. 4 hours into break in and noticed the motor revs will jump and pull back without me touching the controls??

Comment

I have the same motor, but my controls are not anything like you described. My last two boats were inboards and used dual controls. Here is a link to what I had, and will probably convert back to. They is far more control with these.

Teleflex Twin S Top Mount Control - Teleflex Marine CH5200P - iboats

Comment

Working...
        X