X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dt140 not getting full throttle

1986 dt140 Suzuki

On a 16 ft bowrider.

The motor have great compression and fired up no problem.
    Idle perfect and revs up perfect out of gear. No misfiring or anything.
    Once I put it in gear and plane out the boat the motor does not rev up to full throttle. I have the trottle arm all the way down and it seems to lack power.

Every now and then the motor will instantly red to full throttle but then back down again a second later.
    New plugs are in the motor. New gas coming from a clean Jerry can.

Does anyone know what would be causing this?

problem

your problem is ethanol in the gas. the water gets to the injection system in high rpm and does not run wide open. drain your carbs and water seperators and get new gas

Comment

The thing is I was using new gas .. Straight out of a Jerry can.
      You still think there is a possibility of bad fuel? My motor is carbed not fuel injection
      Other suggestions?

Comment

Tcorbeil,

I am no expert but sounds like you are on the right track checking out the carbs. My DF140 had the same symptoms and the problem ended up being clogged injectors. Also, did you try another primer ball to make sure your diaphragm in yours is not going bad? Also, try running some seafoam fuel injector/carburator cleaner through your motor.

Comment

sounds like you could have some clogged up carbs or they need to be linked, if not that your fuel pump may be going bad. easy way to check to see if your carbs are linked right is with the throttle all the way closed check to see if all the plates are in the exact same position, but i am thinking carbs or fuel pump.

Comment

Same issue

I have a DF 90 Suzuki and I put new fuel in the boat and it worked fine for 30min but after that I was running out wide open when the motor just lost power. The throttle was still all the way down but I could not get the boat to go faster then 20mph. The RPMs where at 5000 with throttle all the way down but I had no power. When I got home the motor seems to shakebad at Idle. Does any one know way?

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm going to run sea foam through it this weekend and also check the. Carbs when closed etc..
              If all else fails I may try to
              Clean the carbs myself

Anyone have some pointers on the whole carb cleaning ?

Comment

Originally posted by rachey View Post
                I have a DF 90 Suzuki and I put new fuel in the boat and it worked fine for 30min but after that I was running out wide open when the motor just lost power. The throttle was still all the way down but I could not get the boat to go faster then 20mph. The RPMs where at 5000 with throttle all the way down but I had no power. When I got home the motor seems to shakebad at Idle. Does any one know way?
                if your engine is spinning 5k rpm and your only going 20mph you probably spun the hub of your prop, bout the only reason for an engines rpms to stay up and not be rolling at normal speeds.

as for cleaning carbs take your time and pay attention to where everything goes. dont mix up the spots the carbs came from and remember the order of which you pulled each carb apart. carb cleaner with the little red straw and compressed air are your friends.

Comment

Working...
                X