Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vapor lock troubles with '05 Suzuki DF140- Suzuki has the WORST customer support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vapor lock troubles with '05 Suzuki DF140- Suzuki has the WORST customer support!

I have been experiencing what I believe to be vapor lock with my 'Zuki DF140 4 stroke for about 2 years. Basically if it is over 90 degrees and you run the engine for a while and then cut it off, wait 20-30 minutes, restart, it will fall on its face under acceleration. Pump up the bulb, starts easily and will run great until it again is shut off. Then same drill again.

The dealer has "fixed" over $400 of problems, none of which cured the vapor lock. The dealer knows nothing of the vapor lock issue. No service bulletin, etc.

But, Suzuki, customer support says they are familiar with the unusual situation and will contact the dealer.

Meanwhile they say that the dealer will not be allowed to fix the problem. Instead a Suzuki factory tech will do so when he is in the area. they advise finding a time in his schedule will probably take a month or so. I am 4 hrs. away from the boat so scheduling will no doubt be a problem.

The the customer support person has been rude, disrespectful and has even yelled at me. He has refused to allow me to speak with anyone else at Suzuki regarding the matter, and says that if it gets fixed it will only be possible by dealing with him.

My entire experience has been extremely customer unfriendly.

I am going to try to hang in and see if the problem can actually be resolved.

I am very dissapointed in Suzuki. I won't be buying more 'Zuki products and am seriously considering trading this one in on a Yamaha. I understand their customer service to be better.

Seems like Zuki would be trying to get and keep customers rather than run them off!

Anyone had this same problem and or have advice on how to resolve?
    Sheesh!

This is a common problem with DF 140s. Suzuki has known about it for years. They will install an electric fuel pump to help the low pressure fuel pump get rid of the vapor. I am surprised that they are considering fixing your '05 engine since I assume it is no longer under Suzuki's warranty. I also have a '05 with the same problem, which is no longer under any warranty, so I am just living with the problem. If someone like yourself gets the fix and passes on the info. about which electric pump, brand and model, they use the rest of us could fix our engines. So if you get the fix, come back and tell us what was done. I would think it would be in Suzuki's interest to send out a notice to dealers of the fix, but they seem to think that if they ignore the issue it will go away.

Comment

I had a six yr warranty so I guess that is why they at least are acting like they will fix it.

I do believe an electric Fuel pump is the fix tho'. Anyone know what pressure the pump should be?

I have seen a lot of discussion about this problem but have not seen any info that could describe the fix including what parts and where they were installed in the system.

Anyone that could spell out the fix out there? Part #s, Brand, Location in system, Etc.?

Your help with Suzuki 4 cycle outboards Vapor Lock seems to be in great need on the net! Help!

Meanwhile, I'll buy no more Zuki stuff as the customer service is so poor!

Comment

Vapor lock DF 140

Well, Suzuki finally fixed the vapor lock.

Suzuki installed a Walbro electric fuel pump and a Holley fuel pressure controller set at 3 lbs. pressure. They attached a cutoff to the tach so that after about 5 seconds of key on with no tach register the pump cuts off.

The motor runs fine now. You can easily tell the vapor lock is still happening but the electric fuel pump does overcome it.

Hope this helps someone!

Comment

Thanks for the info on the parts used and the regulator pressure that Suzuki is using. I have the same problem on an '05 DF140. I have discovered that Suzuki is now selling a low pressure fuel pump for this engine with a new part number that ends with a "V". I wonder if that V stands for vapor? Has anyone tried the new fuel pump on an engine with the vapor lock problem?

Comment

low pressure pump

Is the new pump the built in low pressure pump or an auxiliary electric?

Comment

It is a new part number for the built in low pressure fuel pump on the engine. It is unclear whether or not it is supposed to be a fix for the vapor lock problem. I was hoping someone would know more about it.

Comment

zuki vapor lock

Thanks Nelbur

I was Too.

based on what was done to mine , I think not.

Comment

try this

check the gas tank vent. If it's plugged it causes vapor lock from tank. Even opening the gas cap will relieve the vacuum.

Comment

Vapor lock DF 140

Checked the tank vent valve and primer bulb 1st thing when the problem started. Checked and replaced all fuel Lines, checked high and low pressure fuel pumps also. Fuel pumps pressure was good. Checked and replaced all gas line fittings.

Only answer left was vapor lock. The electric pump was the fix that worked. Didn't stop the vapor lock, but does overcome it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman54 View Post
                      Well, Suzuki finally fixed the vapor lock.

Suzuki installed a Walbro electric fuel pump and a Holley fuel pressure controller set at 3 lbs. pressure. They attached a cutoff to the tach so that after about 5 seconds of key on with no tach register the pump cuts off.

The motor runs fine now. You can easily tell the vapor lock is still happening but the electric fuel pump does overcome it.

Hope this helps someone!
                      Do you know what the model numbers are for the fuel pump and regulator? I'm having the same issues with my DF70. Have been having the issue for 5 years and the dealer always said there was nothing wrong or it was bad gas (They even tried to charge me $300 to drain the tank because of bad gas even though the tank was filled up the day before going to them). I'd like to add this on to my fuel system but need to know the model or part numbers to use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X