Oil in lake water df115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil in lake water df115

I recently purchased a crest pontoon with an 06 df115. The boats hour meter reads 61.2h and after talking with the original owner I believe it.

Anyway the reason I am posting is when I have started it up the last two times (a minute or less running time) I have noticed a formation of oil around the engine. Upon further inspection I have determined that it is coming out of a 1/4" factory drilled hole that is (forgive my ignorance of terminology I'm new to the boating world) above the prop on the flat rutter. The oil coming out of this hole has a milky consistancy. After seeing this I removed the lower unit drain screw and let out a few drops into a mason jar seeing that maybe the first drop had a very very slight clearness but none of the rest did. I then checked the motor oil which was well within the add-full parameters.

So thinking it was a fluke I put it back in the water cranked it up and noticed the same thing happened again.

I'm stumped. What could it be? Should I take it to the dealer or is there anything else I can do? If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

On such a new motor it seems unlikely that any of the seals are bad, although your suggestion that it is coming out a hole means it could be the upper shaft seal or the shifter seal. It seems more likely that something might be wrong with the two drain/fill screws. It is fairly common to have two gaskets on one and none on the other because the gasket came out with one screw and the other stayed behind. Swapping the screws leaves one with no gasket. Drain the milky oil. Check that there is one plastic washer on each screw. Fill with new oil by forcing it in the bottom hole until it starts to come out the top hole, with the motor vertical. Screw in the top screw, remove the fill bottle and quickly screw in the bottom screw. Tighten both firmly with a large screw driver. Hopefully it is something so simple.
    Last edited by nelbur; 07-04-2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X