No announcement yet.

Analogue and digital gauges together???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analogue and digital gauges together???

Hello everyone, proud new owner of a DF175 4stroke. Need to know if there is a splitter, at the motor, that will allow me to run the old analogue gauges as well as the new SMIS digital system. The motor came with analogue(and I have too many holes in the dash now lol). Would be good to have the extra info. that the digital system allows.
    Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can definitely do it, I have done this with my DF115, except that instead of using the SMIS gauges I have connected mine to my Lowrance HDS5's. I also helped a friend connect his DF300 the same way.

Basically, you'll need to establish a NMEA2000 network, and use a Suzuki engine interface cable which you can get from Brownspoint Suzuki.

The trick to keeping both the analogue gauges plus the Suzuki SMIS gauge/s both working is to connect the interface cable to the diagnostic port on your engine's port side (this is the port that the mechanic plugs their laptop into). You will need to make up an adapter cable to do that, which is very simple.

Here's a link to a post that I started on this very subject on The Hull Truth a while ago - have a look right thru it - it tells you everything you need to know. Any dramas after that, PM me, happy to assist if I can.

Suzuki NMEA 2000 newtork + standard Suzuki gauges - it can be done - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Cheers

ML

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply, I'll definately be following your instructions.

Comment

I emailed Brownspoint Suzuki for parts and was pleasently surprised by their helpfulness, they have the bits and way cheaper than Au. Got me to thinking that digital gauges could be fitted to any motor that has a computer diagnostic port so that would allow all those older motors to have digital gauges? Yes or No??

Comment

Nope, this will only work with newer computer controlled engines which are NMEA 2000 certified - ie they put out data in the right format to be able to be read by other NMEA 2000 devices.

Typically this is limited to the newer (2005 and later) EFI Yammy 4 strokes, Suzuki 4 strokes, very new Honda 4 stokes and most E-bombs ( I mean Flea-tec's, whoops E-Tecs). The Merc's have their own system "smartcraft" and I think it might be possible to interface smartcraft mercs with NMEA 2000.

Have a look here if you'd like to read up about it, great info there:

Marine Technology | Blue Heron Marine expertadvice

Where in Aus are you? I'm Cleveland, just outside Brisbane.

Cheers

ML

Comment

Well Moonlighter, I've got all the bits, no problems connecting the sds to smis cable to the engine(that is now a cable already made up), the next lead however has two connectors, one of which is the trim connector. Where does it plug into?
            Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X