Electrical stall on 2002 140 h.p.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical stall on 2002 140 h.p.

This motor (and forum) is new to me but I have searched key words and not found a similar issue described.

History: Bought a boat with this motor on it, took it out and had good experience for the first hour/run of about 7 miles up coast. Started fine after first fishing stop and ran 3 miles. Fished again and cranked but was slow to start. Ran another 2 miles and fished again. Again slow to start and experienced cutouts along the way. Finally, cut and would not restart with lots of cranking. Cleared fuel separator but did not attempt electrical inspection as I didn't want to drop cowl overboard. Got towed... Had local shop diagnose and change ECM relay(s). Ran on the trailer.

Fast forward three months. Swapped motor to project boat and finished project. Out Saturday, ran great for the first hour and then experienced the same set of symptoms. Runs fine, then cuts. No sputter to indicate fuel issue. Full rpm range to WOT was smooth and solid for the first hour or so. Started with cut off at idle, then slow to start, then the cutout up through 1500 before I called it quits.

Any similar experiences or suggestions?

Thank You.

J.D.

Pump the primer bulb when it is acting up to be sure you are not having fuel supply or vapor lock problems.

Comment

Pumped it like a heart massage without effect on the symptoms. There is a fuel/water separator between the bulb and the motor and the reservoir in that was never depleted. I guess vapor lock is a possiblility but would that cause it to go from 4k rpm to off with no warning or indicating cough or drop in power or rpm? Never heard of it happening that way but I'm not a pro.

Thanks

Comment

I believe all of you guys can that have that vapor lock issue, which was later corrected with an electric fuel pump in later versions, can help the vapor lock by installing a vent on your gas fill line.

Comment

Thanks. I don't think it's vapor lock because there are no signs of starvation. It goes from running to off anywhere in the rpm range. The tank is vented and the motor has shown the same symptoms on two different boats. The current one has a new tank and vent so I will test it for clogs but I don't exopect to find anything. Still thinking it's electrical...

Comment

I seem to be having the same issue on my 02 DT150. Did you find a solution. Seems to be electrical because no warning or sputtering. Not sure if yours did this but mine will die sometimes at idle but running at higher rpm's it cuts out and then keeps running. Like it skips a beat. First time it happened I thought I hit something but it kept running. Seems to be getting worse.

Comment

Working...
            X