DT175 rebuild needed... advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT175 rebuild needed... advice

I bought a boat with a 1987 dt175 on it last summer. Ran terrible so after pulling the heads off I discovered water in 3 out of the 6 cylinders. Several cylinders are scored really bad. I am not sure what to do as it is kind of hard to find parts for these and I have not found a top end kit anywhere. Pistons are around $120 a piece then factor in all the gaskets and cleaning up/boring the cylinders. Does anyone have knowledge on rebuilding this motor or advice if it is worth it? I am sure I can find a merc outboard local somewhere for what it will cost me to rebuild this thing. I found a complete powerhead off of a 1998 dt 200 but I am unsure if it can replace the 87 dt175 without issue. From what I read the 175 and 200 are pretty much the same minus the carbs. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

On this site (boats.net) pick your part, scroll down and it will tell you what other models the part will fit.

Comment

If it had water in any cylinders, most probably the crankshaft and bearings (rod bearings most likely) have some rust/ are rusted, and not worth the effort unless you can buy the new parts. I would suggest changing motors, but make sure it is running well, before spending the money.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X