Suzuki DF140 Stalling / Not idling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF140 Stalling / Not idling

I have a pair of Suzuki DF 140's on my boat that I use for saltwater charters and one of them has about 3000 hours on it and has been running fine until recently. When I first start the motor in the morning it is fine and all runs great. The motor continues to run fine if I make short little runs of a mile or two. The problem occurs if I run the boat out to fish 10-20 miles when I come off of plane the motor will stall immediately. If I try and re-start, it will turn over but instantly stall again. I can get the motor to run fine if I turn it over and quickly throw the throttle into gear up over 1000 rpms. Also if I drift and fish for a couple of hours and the engine cools it seems to run fine all the way back to port where it stalls again coming off of plane. I have had it suggested that it is a vapor lock or a problem with the fuel cooling system. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Derek

Sounds like one of the sensors has gone bad, I recommend taking to a dealer and having the computer put on it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

2003 115 motor would not idle changed all gas lines filters no good
      found hole in nipple above water wash out ,exhaust fumes fill cover
      with cd . pasthed holes with J b WELD fixed prob. boater at same dock paid
      $1750 for fix test is to remove cover if rpm pick up look for leak.

good luck
      capt

Comment

Check the closed throttle switch

Comment

Do some simple things first, clean the throttle plate, take the idle air control valve off and clean it and where I think the problem is check the closed throttle switch, it plays a very important roll in a quick decelaration mode it delays the timing advance and the iac bypasses a bit more air so you don;t get an engine stall. What captain hook is talking about is a problem in the engine holder where exhaust gas eats away the alloy and allows exhaust gas to enter the engine under the cowling. When this happens the engine will run eratic manifold vacum will drop and because the map sensor uses manifold vacum for imformation it will log a code.

Comment

Working...
          X