1999 dt 140 running poorly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 dt 140 running poorly

I have a 1999 st 140 that has ran perfectly until this year. It now smokes when you start it you must give it throttle to get it to start. The warmer it gets the worse it runs. I have changed the fuel lines, spark plugs and water pump. All plugs have a spark. It is fuel injected. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

same issue dt140 1997

I just started having the same problem. I think it's the stator and found a guy to rebuild by rewinding. I ran an Ohm meter and the specs were not right for the charge circuit and the pulse sensor. High and low condenser coil were within spec. Ohms for coils and plug wires are good too.

Last night it didnt start but the battery was low. Charging it now and will see if it fires before I get too worried.

I am also getting a beep beep when it was running.

Are you beeping? Do you know the Beep Fault Codes?

Comment

looks like i have two issues. one is my battery was low and i think there was not enough juice to get it running, even though it started up.

once i got a charge on it for a while, it fired up, smoked a bit, then cleared up.

looks like i also have a bad cyl temp sensor. my stator is still throwing really bad numbers.

Have you checked your compression? Should be in the 125psi-140psi range. 140 is factory new. Its possible that salt intrusion has spread into the head to cause a head gasket leak. I pulled my heads, had them surfaced and replaced them with new gaskets and permatex ultra gasket goo. compression went up substantially. The smoke maybe water and the heating up maybe more water getting into the cyl and burning off. my head gasket had evidence of blowby at the crush ring.
      Last edited by findre; 08-04-2011, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I am going to screw in the compression check when my daughter gets done with this all weekend softball tourney. I don't know what else it could be. I guess a repair manual will have the proper values? I am getting no alarms but it cuts out the bottom 2 cylinders at an idle until what rpm I wonder if they are cutting in an out. I ran it with the hose in the yard and it acted ok. Where would I find a repair manual.?

Comment

Proper compression values are relative. New is 140. You want it as close to that as possible, but you want all the cylinder to be as close together as possible. all with 120 are fine, but compression that is more than 10% difference from each other is considered bad.

Comment

I checked compression and had 90 on every hole on a cold motor. Do you think it could be a head gasket?

Comment

”findre” you mentioned you knew someone that rewinds stators?

Any chance that place is still rewinding stators? Have a couple dt-140 efi motors on a cat. Magnets on flywheel came loose and ate my original one. Picked up a used one, but one coil not reading (low cond coil-no ohms). Price of new costly! Eating me alive. Would like to find rebuilder for stator if available? Thnx.

Comment

Working...
              X