DF50 2007 Won´t Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF50 2007 Won´t Start

Hi. I have a DF50 with 540 freshwater hours on it. No problems until recently; all servicing properly done.

The engine was running fine, but when I changed to neutral it died and now will not start at all. Turning the key, the usual beep goes, the rev counter shows the hours, and the fuel pump works. Turn it further, and...nothing (except the fuel pump).

Have checked fuses (1 x 10amp + 1 x 30amp - OK), and removed the flywheel cover and tried a manual start...nothing (although the engine turns over okay). Before I have to take it to the only dealer here (who probably knows less than me, and doesn´t even have a connector to connect the engine to a computer ), can anyone suggest a likely cause?

Any help appreciated!

check the neutral safety switch in the control box ,starter does not work if not in neutral.

Comment

Thanks Bezerk, but I think I eliminated that when I tried the manual start - it says in the manual that the neutral safety switch doesn't work when using the emergency manual start procedure (and then warns you to make sure the selector is in neutral etc). Assuming I'm right about that, do you have any other ideas I can think about..? I notice there are two relays - a starter motor relay and an ECM Unit relay. At first I thought it might be the starter motor relay, but the fact that it won't fire up using a manual start (there's just no sign of (electrical) life at all), makes me think it might be the other one. But it may be something much more simple, and I don't want to go throwing money away on parts I don't need (and I don't trust the service people here) - hence hoping to get feedback to help me narrow the possiblities down. Thanks again!

Comment

Sounds like the ECM is still detecting an in gear situation, if it is the same as the df 140 the ecm won't give an injector pulse and the starter relay won't work. So you will have no hope starting with the rope.

Comment

Thanks Redlowrey. I think I really need to know definitively if the manual start procedure by-passes the neutral safety switch: if it does, I can eliminate it as a problem. Unfortunately my manual´s on the boat at the moment - anyone have one handy (I know there´s a section entitled "Emergency Start Procedure" which provides this info.)? Thanks.

Comment

I've been down to the boat and retrieved my manual. On p.27 it says "When using the emergency starting procedure, the start-in-gear protection system will not work. If the shift lever is not in the "NEUTRAL" position, the boat can start off unexpectedly...". To my way of thinking this means I can eliminate the neutral switch - anyone agree/disagree..? I'm now thinking it could be either the ECM Main Relay or the ECM itself, but that's mostly because I don't know what half the other stuff in there is. Comments/suggestions welcome!

Comment

Still looking for advice on this from someone with experience of sensor/relay/electrical issues. For example, is there any way I can determine if I'm on the right track with the ECM Main Relay? If I were anywhere but half-way up the Amazon, I'd just go and buy a replacement -but unfortunately here all the parts are too expensive to do this. Also, going back to what Bezerk and Redlowrey said, I looked on the parts list and found two neutral switches listed - one apparently in the engine (37721-99E10), and one in the remote control unit (37721-93J90). Is that right?? Thanks.
              Last edited by Maninmanaus; 09-09-2011, 06:49 PM. Reason: Addnl info

Comment

Do the simple thing first make sure the ECM is not seing an in gear signal, if it is it wont start, you only need a multy meter.

Comment

Thanks again Redlowrey. Good idea, and I´ll dig out my multimeter - but where do I stick it (no rude suggestions, please!)? I don´t have a service manual (although I´ve trawled the internet looking for one- any ideas?) - just the owner´s manual, which has the wiring diagram at the back. I can identify two neutral switches (one that seems to be in the remote control unit, and the other in the engine), and the two relays ´Starter´ and ´ECM Main´ (I know where these are).

Comment

If it is the same as the DF140 when you turn the key to start it will switch 12volts through the neutral switch, to the ECM and and through the starter relay to ground if the ECM sees 12volts it will put a ground on the injectors when they switch. Do a simple test open the throttle plate and squirt some petrol in turn the key on hook the rope on and turn it over and I bet my nuts the engine starts.

Comment

Thanks mate, but still no joy - dead as a post at the engine. From what you say, can I then test the neutral switch by pulling out the starter relay and connecting my meter across the connector (should show 12v when I switch on?). If this is okay, and eliminates the neutral switch as a problem, presumably I can do the same with the ECM relay. Does this make sense or am I kidding myself?

Comment

Mate your making a simple job hard, just test the neutral switch with a test light or a multimeter you should have battery voltage either side of the switch in neutral same with the switch on the engine where the gear shift is, my guess it is open if it is closed pull the single spade wire off the starter solinoid stick the test light probe into the wire connector hook the other end to ground turn the key to start and the test light should light. If you were in australia Iwould have that problem fixed in half an hour.

Comment

Ha ha - here, it'll take them at least a week, they'll break or lose half your nuts and bolts, charge you a fortune and it still won't be working. Okay - I'm going back down to the boat tomorrow and will do as you say (if I can find the switches). If I can fix this myself, I'm going to put the money towards a back-up 5hp to hang on the back. Will report back tomorrow.

Comment

Just one more thing, if you've time to reply in the next 12-15 hours or so - to test the switch at the RC unit, I have to take the box off/take it apart, right? I've read some horror stories about this - any tips? I think it's the standard box that Suzuki supplied for the 2007 model, but I've never taken it off before - looks like 3 screws to unmount it, and then the handle and any retaining screws to remove the cover, right? Cheers.

Comment

You should be able to see a wiring plug with out taking the remote off, it might have a separate plug for the neutral switch. If you find it hook your multie meter up on ohms in neutral there should be continuitiy and in gear open, same with switch on engine. Make sure the battery is disconnected.

Comment

Working...
                              X