DF140 2002 will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 2002 will not start

I ran the motor every month during the winter months. Then a cold spell hit for a month and following month would not turn over. Rechared battery, tested motor/starter, checked fuses, neutral wires, battery connectors, etc. I pulled the harness completely apart and checked all connectors, relay starter, fuses, ECD, nothing. Still will not turn over! What am I missing.

Does the starter enguage and not start or it won't engauge period? Does the starter relay click?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Df140

When I turn key I get the buzz indicator, gauge needles indicators, lights ok, but when turning key to start, no flywheel/motor engage.....only hear the starter whirring. Did not notice relays click sound. I did pull all connector fittings out and found corrosion on one relay contact/cleaned and metered out ok. I metered wires for continuity ok. Neutral wires meter ok. Fuses ok.
      Battery questionable for load. Recharge indicates up to 13 vdc. Drops to 12 vdc after idle.

Comment

Instead of confusing us you should have wrote on the fist page, the starter energizes but won't engage the flywheel, and we would have wrote back the starter drive pinion is crook easy fix. Because you say the starter motor is wherring the starter relay is energized and the solinoid has switched. Just make sure the power head can turn by hand and the right way.

Comment

Just a thought, based on my own current problem - you say you hear the starter motor turning - are you sure you´re not just hearing the fuel pump? Sorry if that´s a dumb question.

Comment

DF140 starter problem

My apologies as I am a novice at this forum on outboards and also new owner of this big motor with so many components that can go wrong. If you have a better way to approach this task then please forward your ideas.

As I am working on the outboard by myself, I can not work fore and aft trying to keystart and determine which component is or is not functioning correctly.
            I have a manual and have been reading up on trouble shooting techniques.

I was looking for answers from experience on a no start outboard issues.
            Yes, the flywheel turns by hand. Can not tell if it is fuel pump noise. I did check and starter does not engage flywheel.

Comment

Well, for my money I think you need to determine what exactly the noise is when you turn the key - fuel pump is more of a hiss; starter is more of a whine. The problem I'm having is that although all seems to work fine (beep, instruments, fuel pump), the starter motor doesn't, um, start - so I'm looking (with help from the guys here) for an electrical fault (relays, neutral switches etc). I'm a novice here myself - I don't suppose you can do an emergency start procedure with a 140? (I know - it's hard enough with a 50..!). Good luck, anyway.

Comment

Probably need to load test battery and battery cables to engine(may be low voltage problem to starter), have starter tested to see if it's dragging or a stuck bendix gear.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

you have a connection issue

You poor guy, this is probably too late, when you turn the key, after the console beeeeep, the fuel pump comes on for 3 seconds. If nothing happens after that then it sounds like you have a corroded wire or bad connection. I had that experience this spring when I went out fishing. My motor would not crank, no power to starter. As if dead battery but no attempt to turn over. It turned out to be the brown wires that come off the throttle switch under the console. I don't remember, I'm at work, but you have wires to the noise maker (beeeeep) and also these brown wires go to something, but can unplug. I suppose it so you can replace key/throttle assembly(?). I unplugged and replugged those brown wires and viola!
                  Good luck

Comment

The engine needs to be in natural and overboard safety switch in off for engine to start . I have had 800 hrs of engine time on that motor without replacing parts so the switch may be stuck. if you can move the engine up and down then you have a good battery

Comment

well?????

Bosnmate, what was the outcome?

Comment

df140 no start

I have not been able to continue troubleshooting because of my other list of duties from da boss!
                        Possibly continue this weekend and will let you know the outcome.

Thanks for your responses and your help!

Comment

I had similar issues. My turned out to be the nuetral safety switch that is on the throttle linkage on the lower starboard side of the motor.
                          -Shawn

Comment

Neutral Safety Switch

I have been pondering about that switch but did not know where it is located.
                            I have since given up troubleshooting since it has been very time consuming.

If possible, Shawn, could you send a pic of the neutal switch or a brief description, size, (wire colors). etc.

Comment

As another mentioned it may be your neutral switch at console

Sometimes I have to jiggle the throttle to get it perfectly in neutral as to meet the permissive to start. It's not a big move forward and reverse just a jiggle. I take it the wires under console (off key switch) were ok?

Comment

Working...
                              X