DF-4 carburetor overflows gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF-4 carburetor overflows gas

We have been having fuel issues to the point where the engine no longer works. Bad gas and water in the gas. So we had the fuel line unclogged and then replaced the carburetor (which, I think, was probably still good but oh well!) and rebuilt the fuel pump (which really was bad).

We did those in that order. The engine would not start UNTIL we rebuilt the fuel pump. But now when we start it it gushes volumes of gas out the carburetor overflow tube and out in the water (not a good thing!). The engine will run, but I don't want to pollute, so we don't run it.

Any ideas on what is going on and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a stuck float or needle and seat. You could try tapping the top of the carb the the handle of a screwdriver while it is overflowing and see if it stops. More than likely you'll have to tear into the carb to fix it. Don't you just love ethanol.......

Comment

overflow

i have the same problem nothing i have tried has worked any sugestions?

Comment

Yes, it is because of the needle valve and float. If the needle valve is good then it is the float level. If float level is set incorrectly then the carb either floods gas (float set to high), or starves the motor of fuel (if set to low). If set just right, everything works fine.

If you go back into carb to fix the problem, make sure you remove the needle valve seat, and blow through the fuel passage to clear any debris. Often any debris from pump will lodge on backside of the seat, blocking fuel flow.

Good luck. If you have a manual, look in the carb section on float level adjustment/setting.
        Last edited by Solarman; 05-14-2015, 06:20 PM.

Comment

And, add a in-line fuel filter to your fuel line to help keep rubbish out of the carby in the first place!

Comment

Working...
          X