suzuki dt4 cooling problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suzuki dt4 cooling problems

having problems with my cooling system, my dt4 year approx 1990.

had an over heating and detected that very little water came out of the pee hole. eventually no water was coming through.

My impeller had gone. ive since changed the impeller oil seals etc,but no water is coming out ,after various tests we decided to pull the power head, the channels werent that bad but the jacket gasket had been overheated and has bulged. i think the engine has overheated. what do i need to change,the jacket gasket, head cylinder gasket ? also i found like a blob of solidified rubber inside one of the channels,cant figure out what part it can be.

thanks ,

john

The blob of rubber could be part of your old impeller, this is commen. If you have over heated I would recommend removing the cylinder head checking all water passages. I would also recommend checking compression.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

suzuki dt 4 cooling problems

Thanks we ll try that ,ive purchased the cylinder head gasket, the jacket gasket and a new cylinder head cover . this is the last thing i can do . hope it works!

Comment

I have a similar problem on my DT5, implellere is almost new have plumbed in the cooling system , all clear, but nothing out of tell tale, engine runs fine compression v good. Engine not used for past 3 years apart from long periods between checking running.

Comment

A 3 year old impeller, even/especially if sitting there all that time unused, should be replaced. It will likely have a set in it or have gone hard.

Comment

What year is the motor? Have you tried flushing with a corrosion flush in a bucket? Does the motor overheat?

Also try running some weed-eater line up into the tell-tale outlet? Sometimes bugs like to build nests in places like that? I have had such problems until I started putting a piece of 12ga wire up the tell-tale after flushing. Haven't had that happen since.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.
            Last edited by Solarman; 09-27-2022, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks both, have a new impeller to hand, shall fit ASAP. Reversed water flow through the water pump pipe, full flow..
              Tried placing bottom u it 8nto water tank and operating the pump with a drill, hardly any flow, hopefully it's the impeller which Di not feel hard!
              cheers

Comment

If it's not the impeller, it may be the housing itself? Some of those parts can get worn too.

Good luck, post back to let us know what you find.

Comment

Working...
                X