DF 140 2003 problems in the BVI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 140 2003 problems in the BVI

I have just rigged a DF 140 2003 on a 6.0m Avon Searider.
    The engine has been laid up for about 18 months.
    I drained the fuel out of the injector rack and have replaced the filters.
    The engine runs up but dies shortly after starting.
    When it is warmed up it sometimes starts and idles OK.

Initially I was getting an IAC error code 3:1.
    I have two engines so I swapped out the IAC.
    No change.
    I adjusted the air by-pass screw to give 1000 revs, get the beep that locks the IAC duty at 15% and then adjusted the idle back down to 700.

Didn't get the error code for a while but now it is back.
    The computer tells me that historically there have been 150 IAC/air by-pass error codes in the engines 2250 hours (I'm sure the majority of these hours have been ignition left on hours, more than half the time has been 0-1000 revs!)

The engine runs fine at higher revs, when it is warm and idling the computer tests go perfectly well, injectors/ignition and even the IAC test.
    I still suspect the IAC valve.
    Is there an impedence test for the valve?
    Can you run the IAC valve test with engine off and the IAC valve unscrewed.
    What are you meant to see if it is working OK?
    Can it be bench tested for actuation?

Here is another teaser.
    The engines came from a twin engine install so I couldn't use the Suzuki binacle mount dual control.
    I had a perfectly good Yamaha control box.
    It all seemed to be going very well until the launch.
    I can adjust for ahead but no reverse or reverse and no ahead!
    I attached an old morse cable to a yamaha box and the suzuki dual mount... to find that the Suzuki has a longer throw for gears, about 1/2" total.
    Is that the case?
    Do I need a Sukuki side mount control box or has anyone got a trick up their sleeves?

The IAC is duty cycled by the computer, pull it off and where it bolts on to the manifold the port and the seat will be damaged and half blocked with carbon. You can test the valve on the bench apply 12 volts and a ground and the plunger should retract. Too test it on the engine while it is running you will need to use a multimeter with duty cycle. It's only function is to control the idle speed, and it doe's it by bypassing air.

Comment

Thanks for that reply, I'm going to check out both my IAC's

What about the throttle/gear control box, do Suzukis need more travel to get gears than a Yamaha?
      It sure seems that way!

Comment

Working...
      X