Df115 no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Df115 no power

My brothers have a 20 ft Carolina Skiff with a 4 stroke Suzuki. We had some fuel issues last year & changed the low pressure fuel pump. Now we seem to have a differenent kind of fuel problem. It has been a little harder to start but it does it falls on it's face or boggs out when you try to throttle up. Only when you press the issue to get the rpms up does it back fire at all. Not sure if there is a schrader valve on engine to check fuel pressure. I have read there is a screen in the high pressure pump. My brothers knee jerk reaction was to change spark plugs which didn't provide the cure. I think it's lacking fuel pressure but not sure how or where to check it from. The motor is a 2007 & has never sat for more than 2 weeks at a time. We live on the Mosquito Lagoon in Central Fl. Any instruction would be a blessing.

Wonbigfish

No Schrader valve that I know of. The pressure is usually measured with a gauge placed in the hose between the high pressure fuel filter and the fuel rail. Have you considered the high pressure fuel filter itself? There are two fuel filters in the engine: the rather expensive high-pressure filter ($60+) and the not-so-expensive low-pressure filter. It does sound like a fuel problem by your description.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I failed to mention we did replace a $67.00 filter. It hides behind manifold & over high dollar fuel pump. I will check for any pressure & follow up.

Thanks for response
      Wonbigfish

Comment

Pulled the fuel to injector rail. Noticed rite away no pressure spray. Then I turned key on Pump ran for maybe 5 seconds. Maybe 2 ounces came out. Does the high pressure pump have a filter screen inside vst. What else should I look for? Any help is appreciated.

Wonbigfish

Comment

there is a little fine filter in the vst give it a clean

Comment

I am tearing into it today. Looks as if the intake manifold has to be removed to gain access to vst assm or is there a better way?

Comment

Got it apart. Once I figured ouy the lower side cowling comes off it's not that difficult to work on. Once I got into the vst I noticed the grommet on top the electric fuel pump had a cut on the upper side of it. The fuel screen was not obstructed. I need to inspect needle & seat for wear & float height. Is there a published spec for this? Now that I am this far, wonder how exspensive the pump is. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
              Wonbigfish

Comment

Can't seem too find a part# for the grommet on top of electric fuel pump inside the fuel vapor separator. I'll try it & hope for the best before I spending more than $300.00 for a replacement pump. Looks like a normal auto in tank fuel pump

Comment

it like it is because it is........................... about 90 bucks
                  Last edited by mitch; 03-06-2012, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Probably what you should have done first was to check the low pressure side from tank, primer, to low pressure pump to make sure there was no air leak or restrictions. Then disconect the out put line from pump put a hose on it and crank the engine there should be a good stream coming from it, if thats ok proceed to the high pressure side fit a gauge to the fuel rail it should be around 36 psi. The fuel pump is duty cycled when you turn the key on the pump will run for about three seconds, and uses imformation for how long it stays on, hold the key on start it will stay on.From what your discribing it sounds like a fuel problem, make sure your map sensor is working properly the computor uses this imformation for injector duration.

Comment

I did make sure the bulb was pumped. After it starts it would idle, then it falls on it's face when I try to idle up. I then took off high pressure line to fuel rail and put it in a container. Turned on key, maybe 2 ounces came out. The pump did run a few seconds though. After opening the VST notice a tear in grommet on top off fuel pump. Screen was clear & no sediment in casing. I am hoping grommet is the issue. The problem is lookin at vst parts breakdown it isn't listed. I going to check float height & replace grommet if I can find one. And go from there.

Thanks for advise
                      Wonbigfish

Comment

It's a Mitsubishi pump. Number on top are 06Z08or D6Z08 and UC-T30. I can deal with $90.00 .

Thanks for your input
                        Wonbigfish

Comment

Nobody can get the grommet on top the high presssure fuel pump. Boats.net says they can't that I should call Suzuki Marine. They say there is not a separate part# for it. It may come with new fuel pump. Another words it's a $300.00 grommet. Suzuki sugested I should call Mitsubishi since they made the pump.

Hey SUZUKI is that the best you can do? If so than SUZUKI SUCKS

Comment

Now now....I understand your frustration, but I seriously doubt that any other manufacturer of outboards, or of automobiles or any other equipment manufacturer that uses components made by other companies, (which virtually ALL do) would do any better. Why would you expect Suzuki to include a small part of a component manufactured by Mitsubishi in their inventory? What kind of "grommet" are you referring to? Can you surmise its function? What does it cover? A wire terminal? A fuel line? The only part that I can see in the illustration that fits your description is 15647-93J00. But I guess that's not what you're referring to.
                            Mike
                            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

looks like it comes with the pump but it is just a fuel pump grommet should be able to get one from fuel injection shop.
                              Last edited by mitch; 03-07-2012, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X