1994 DT150 sputter issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 DT150 sputter issues

I have a 1994 DT150 Suzuki outboard on a 19 ft Laser bassboat. I have had for four yrs now and it has always ran great. Last summer headed for the lake, launch as always, motor fired right up, headed out, eased on the throttle and the outboard motor starts to bogg down, like its starving for gas, hit the tilt and trim switch and boat will jump out of the water. Let go of the trim switch and motor starts to bogg down again. As long as the trim is activated, outboard motor runs great. This does not always happen, sometimes you launch get in and go, it does fine. And other times it does it every time you go to get the boat up on plane. Normally, once you get the RPM's up it runs fine (you can let go of the trim). I put it in the shop had them go thru, they changed the plugs, high pressure fuel filter, low pressure fuel filter, cleaned high pressure fuel screens. I had aleady replaced low pressure fuel pumps springs and diaframes. The shop took it out after they did the work and told me it ran great. I got it, took it out and first thing, bogg down, and had to hit the trim to get it to run. I took it back to the shop and they said everything was fine, and they could not find a problem. I got tired of dealing with them. I do not know if this is a electrical problem or fuel problem. I find it strange that hitting the trim, makes it take off and run like it should. Any ideas? Thank you in advance. Ray

Not sure, check all ground wire connections on engine make sure all are clean and tight, check wire connectors are not corroded.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

isolating fuel

You could connect in inexpensive (relatively) portable fuel tank to the motor and see if makes a difference. That would at least tell you you're not sucking yuk out of your tanks and do not have obstructions in your existing in line fuel valves, filters, pressure bulb... etc.

Just a thought...

Comment

Sputter issue

I have a 1995 Suzuki 150 and is doing the exact same thing. Sometimes it runs fine others you can only make it back in by working the trim to keep the motor running strong. When not using the trim the motor boggs down like its starving for fuel or there is a short going through the power pack etc.. Just wondering if you found out what the issue was? Desperate for a solution! Csnow82@aol.com Thanks!

Comment

2001 df50

I have read the information in this thread and will check all of the 100 grounds on this motor, right.

My DF 50 is doing the same thing. I have verified not a fuel issue. When I hit the tilt switch up or down, it runs like a barracuda. Take the finger off and it sputters.

Could this be related to the ground on the tilt solenoids? As soon as the Florida rains stop I will check out as many as I can and let you know what I find.

In the interim, post your resolutions.

Thanks

Comment

Cutting out issue

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue yet? I am still having this issue. Please message me back or reply back to thread, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

bogging issues till hit the trim

Sounds to me like there might be an issue with one our more wires, or corrosion.
              It seems that when you hit your trim the electrical problem you have makes a path through the trim system. So I would run a continuity check on all the plug in connectors. It is probable that the wire plug (female, or male end) is not making connection to its wire. I had the same thing on my tilt system. A 2” wire on my motor had no continuity between the male end and the female connector right next to it. I put a jumper wire between those two points, and everything works fine again. So it is possible the plug ends might need to be replaced.
              You'll have to test each wire to find it.
              Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X