Df 140 Welding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Df 140 Welding question

I have to repair my 2002 DF140 with the hole under the steel plug, I had patched it with Marine Tex but everyone says it is a tempoary fix. My question is how big do I cut the rectangle out for the patch and what electronics have to be disconnected and or removed from the engine before it is welded? I will disconnect it from the batteries but I am curious about the computer etc. Thanks

Unfortunately we are unfamiliar with this specific repair.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

This hole beside the exhaust plug is a common problem and welding the hole shut after removing the plug, is also common. I would remove only what material is necessary to get to a fair thickness of aluminum and shape the patch to fit. I have no idea about what to do with the electronics on the engine. Maybe someone who has done the repair can tell us what they did.

Comment

Unfortunately, From my experience, cutting and welding is just going to be a temporary fix as well. A new engine holder without the soft metal plug is what cures this problem.
        -Shawn

Comment

Mate try the cheap way first,if it can be welded weld it disconect the ecu, if it was mine I would remove it. The plug was put there in the early engines so you could fit an 02 sensor.

Comment

Engine holder problem anyone else

Have a look around on the net, I have seen a few pictures of the weld job.

Comment

Ejayt1 listen to Shawn

Ejayt1,
              I'd listen to Shawn on the patch job. Wedocq has posted extensive info on the engine holder issue. Also, when was the last time you checked the engine anodes?

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
                Unfortunately we are unfamiliar with this specific repair.
                Dude, where the heck have you been? Sounds like the answer we all have gotten from Suzuki. Sheesh, do a quick Google search, "Engine holder corrosion", you can read for hours!

Comment

Working...
                X