2006 DF175 will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 DF175 will not start

I have not had a problem with this motor starting in the past. It has set on my boat lift for about 10 days since I last used it.
    I tried to start the motor and got absolutely nothing from the starter. I thought the batteries might be a little low (new batteries), so I slow charged them for about 12 hours.
    I get tilt and trim action on the motor and all the gauges power up when I turn on the switch.
    Any suggestions for where to start. I have done nothing at this point.

Thanks,
    Hooder
    23 Foot Home made Custom Carolina Center Console.

before you panic you need to do some very simple trouble shooting, is there a battery main switch? is it on? are the battery terminals clean and tight (both ends)? is the famous "white wire" connected and tight? is the control lever in neutral? all sorts of things can cause an ignition failure, and the lights and trim will still work.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.
      All the battery cables were checked and were good. The battery selector switch was on ALL, so both batteries were on demand. The controls were in netural.
      I have not checked the famous White Wire, but will do that first thing this morning.
      I wll reply with results.

Again,
      Thanks - Hooder

Comment

There are two neutral switches, one in the console and one under the cowel, the one under the cowel imforms the ecm whether you are in gear or neutral. If it see's an in gear signal there will be no starter and no fuel injection pulses. If the wiring is the same as the df140 the white wire is the main ignition feed through a 60 and 30 amp fuse, when you turn the key on battery voltage will power up the main relay and the lights in the tacho. You say the ptt works and the lights so I dont think you have blown a fuse, when you turn the key to start battery voltage will go through both neutral switches starter relay, and through the pull in winding in the starter solinoid to earth. If you know how to use a test light or multimeeter it should take you ten minutes to find the problem.

Comment

Again, thanks for suggestions.
          Tested all the connections with a test light and all were good.
          Turned out to be the safety switch on the shift cables.

Adjusted them just a little and problem solved. I believe the cables were from a yamaha when the previous owner switched to the Zuki 175.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Hooder

Comment

Working...
          X