no spark on cylinders 1 & 4 df115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no spark on cylinders 1 & 4 df115

Cylinders 1 and 4 are not firing.Replaced coil still no spark.
    It's a 2006 df115 four stroke.

Try switching the coil connectors and see if it sparks. If it does then likely your cdi.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

I switched the coils around took the one that runs 2 & 3 with the one that runs 1 & 4 and still got nothing on 1 & 4 .Thanks for the info.

Comment

Then need to test pulsor coil output voltage to CDI.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Try to switch the two coils, if it don't spark on 2-3 then likely a defective coil pack.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Did that and still no spark on 1-4 bought a new coil thinking that it was the coil.
            Where is the cdi located on a df115.And can i use a multi-meter to check the voltage on it.
            Last edited by swfl86; 12-07-2012, 04:01 PM. Reason: add more to it.

Comment

I am uncertain to its exact location.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Is the cdi and ecu the same thing.

Comment

The ignition system in that engine is a fully transistorized battery fed system and I think all the imformation from the crank angle sensor is processed inside the ecu. This could be a cheap fix or an expensive one. Do this simple test diconect the plug on the coil that feeds one and four turn the ignition on, hook a test light or digital multi meter up and you should have battey voltage on one side, note the colour of the wire, if you have battery voltage connect the plug back up and back probe the wire on the other side of the plug. if you have battery voltage there, if using a test light it should be glowing,. if it is crank the engine and you should see it blink. I will give you more imformation after you test it, if you don't feel confident take it to an auto elec not a boat mech.

Comment

Thanks for the help here when it get's into the electrical part of the engine i am limited on the knowledge.Hooked up the test light and got the wire that had current from the battery then put the connector back on and put the light on the opposite wire it was steady on and started blinking when the engine was cranked over.
                    Thanks again for the help.

Comment

That test tells you that the output transistor of the ignition module is switching, did you test the leads to make sure they are not open,and are the plugs wet or black, or dry. Doe's the engine run on two cylinders or just has weak spark on two and three. Did the engine start backfiring before the two cylinders dropped out.

Comment

The plugs are wet the engine runs on two cylinders and it didn't backfire at all.It would run fine out of water but when you put it in water it didn't have the power to get on plane.

Comment

What do you mean it would run fine out of the water, run on four cyls. Did the new coil come with leads on it. if it does run on four cyls out of the water it must be getting spark. Are all the plugs wet or just one and four and did you check the risistance of the leads, CLARIFY WHAT YOU MEAN IT RUNS ALL RIGHT OUT OF THE WATER, if it runs on four cyls out of the water pull the engine cowling off and go for a run.

Comment

It would run at 6000 rpm's out of water but when i put it in water it would only go to 4000 rpm's and wouldn't get on plane. That is what got me to start testing everything to see what the problem was and found there was no spark on 1-4 bought new coil still no spark switched coils around same thing.I can unhook the coil that supplies 1-4 with engine running and there is no change in the engine.
                            Thanks for the help.

Comment

running at high RPM with no load is no test for anything, do NOT do it! have you got a genuine manual for this motor? if not, it's the first thing to buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X