DF140 loud banging!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 loud banging!

My Suzuki DF140 (2004) suddenly lost oil during a fishing trip. The alarm sounded, and the dip stick was empty. We added a litre (all we had onboard) and limped home (30mins) on tickover protection mode (ie. engine would not allow throttle to be opened). With no obvious reason for the loss of oil, we refilled (took 4litres)_ and ran the engine, but a slick appeared and the dipstick read empty within 15mins!

I eventually found the oil cooler (mounted beneath the filter) was salted up and badly cracked internally, but nothing was missing. Replaced the cooler and ran the engine up fine - no sign of any oil leaks and everything sounded smooth. We then went out for a test run, but heard a loud banging once the engine had been under load for a few seconds.

The sound is there in or out of gear, is fairly regular although becomes louder and irregular - and will even disappear briefly - at high revs. The banging is loud and horrendous - but I've been over the engine and cannot pinpoint it with a stethoscope. It is loudest on stbd side and seems to come from below the air manifold toward the top. Obviously I'm thinking something was damaged and failed under load, so I have a chunk rattling in the crankcase, but the engine seems to be running smooth - no smoke, oil stays clean and is swarf free - and the noise doesn't appear to be internal - it's just too loud!

There is no vibration, and I just cannot pinpoint anything to strip. Has anyone come across anything like this before?? Is there something I'm missing or should try before committing to a full strip down? Any advice gratefully received!!!

Mate if you ran out of oil, and then run the engine for thirty minutes without oil pressure I would hate to think what the bottom end would look like

Comment

At the very least you spun a bearing. The motor needs a complete tear down if you ask me.
      -Shawn

Comment

sad to say this, but my crystal ball sees a big repair bill in your near future, unless you are a VERY lucky man.

Comment

Working...
        X