No announcement yet.

dt65 won't go above 1300rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understand, the five bolts keep the head cover on the head assembly when removing. The five bolts aren't necessary to remove unless more room is needed to remove the head. The power head is what the head cover is bolted to -correct ? I still need to remove all 18 bolts plus the five to remove the head cover -right? If i have to remove all bolts, why not go on and replace the head gasket to the block .

Comment

Just terminolgy, I refer to block and head as a powerhead.

You need to replace the head gasket between the head and block, your call to also replace the cover gasket while you have it apart.

Remove those 18 bolts slowly and in the order they are numbered (backwards, starting with number 18).

Comment

Thank you .... I noticed i have a start-up ignition timing sensor on
        the cover. Should i remove that when i am removing the other electrical parts? Any special cautions i should be aware of while doing this head procedure?

Comment

My mistake, the start-up ignition timing sensor is for the dt50 I believe. My book is a bit confusing. Anyway, I want to thank you for all your help and vital
          information. I will be doing this job in a few weeks. Until then, THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by mphelle8vld View Post
            Not good, only two places water can get in combustion chamber, head gasket and exhaust cover gasket, (or cracked block but that would be less likely). If the motor has ever been overheated I would look at the head gasket first but both are notorious for twisting off bolts. Let us know what you find.
            I ended up pulling the power head assembly. The number two cylinder had a hole in it from the water jacket. The exhaust cover had several places that were clogged up. Had a total of 14 broken bolts ( three in the head, five on the base mount, and 6 on the exhaust cover. Put a used head on ( had little hours on it ) , rebuilt the carbs, rechecked the reed valves and set all adjustments. I replace the thermostat and water temp sensor. I will be starting it up this week . Thanks for all the info and help. If it doesn't run right now, I am going to dig a hole and bury it. BigJim

Comment

Working...
            X