2004 df250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 df250

Changed to Amsoil 10-40 several oil changes ago. About 1100 hours now.
    Split two oil filter casings and lost oil out the filter until lowoil shutdown, on back to back consecutive trips.
    Motor performed fine both days and did not pressurize the filter until much later in the day. So the filters are not faulty.
    I pulled the boat out and drained the remainder of the oil, looked milky brown. Also the vent tube on the starboard head was unseated.
    So any ideas on this problem?

Milky oil indicates water in the oil, are/where the filters genuine?

Comment

I understand the color indicates water, the filter was a Wix filter. Regardless of brand.. how would water be introduced into the oil?

Comment

There is a lot of possible causes for water in the oil, you will need to trouble shoot bit by bit, do you have a genuine manual for this motor? if not, get one, and only use genuine filters, I have learned that the hard way.

Comment

Noelm007 Appreciate your feedback

Mechanic suggests refilling the motor with oil and installing OEM filter. Run it for awhile and rechecking for water. Could this cause more problems? Can a shop check it out for possible Head and/or gasket failures?.. before wasting another $100 on oil/filter and possibly more water in the motor?.. I realize $100 may be peanuts compared to the final fix, but this will be my 3rd go around in refilling the motor. Uncertain on next move.

Comment

It would probably pay to fit an oil pressure gauge onto the engine and check the pressure, if you are getting water into the oil the oil pump pressure regulator valve is sticking letting the oil pressure rise a lot higher and that is why the oil filers are splitting. As far as where the water is coming from head gasket, corrosion, who knows.

Comment

DF250 fixed

Removed heads and powerhead.. checked heads for cracks and warpage, they were good. Replaced gasket on powerhead and both head gaskets and then 24 hour pressure test was done. No water in oil or filter issues after 5 hours run time. Repair bill: 1350

Comment

Some further info re non-OEM oil filters. While they may fit, the problem is often that the shape where they screw onto the engine housing may be slightly different, with the result that the filter can bottom out on the body of the engine before it is properly tight on the seal.

That is what has been found to be the cause of most of them that unwind themselves. No warranty when this happens, but maybe an action against your mechanic if they didnt get your agreement to non-gemuine filters.

So for the few extra $, stay with the OEM filters.

Comment

Working...
                X