however continues to lose oil
    12 hour fishing trip used 1 1/2 quarts
    dealer said it should not use more thand 1/2 qt in 100 hours
    dealer was thinking the plugs should be black if it was by-passing rings
    plugs were white with about 88 hours on new plugs
    have run in driveway.. no oil slick
    no obvious oil in center of prop where it exhausts
    no oil slick when I put it the water to go fishing
    pulled the cover off to look for leaks.. found nothing.
    Any ideas where the oil could be going or what to look for will be appreciated
    Art...

My df 250 eats about a quart every 25 hours of opperation but then again it has 1400+ hours on it too. Part of my loss is from the bottom seal on the powerhead but nothing that leaves a slick or sheen.

1.5 quarts sounds high and I would be alarmed at that much as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kmoose View Post
      My df 250 eats about a quart every 25 hours of opperation but then again it has 1400+ hours on it too. Part of my loss is from the bottom seal on the powerhead but nothing that leaves a slick or sheen.

1.5 quarts sounds high and I would be alarmed at that much as well.
      thanks for the feed back
      where is your oil going then.. back through the cylinders ?
      looking on line..something about oil coolers .. engine holder corrission plug

will keep looking .. can't be the first one to leak and not be seen
      thanks
      art..

Comment

nothing to do with the engine holder plug, and the oil cooler lets water into the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by noelm007 View Post
          nothing to do with the engine holder plug, and the oil cooler lets water into the oil.
          Other way around noelm.

Comment

Is there a oil cooler on the 175?
            Or is this where oil is by-passing a gasket under higher pressure ?
            I ran this in an enclosed tank no oil but was only able to run at a bit over idle
            Ran it for 15 minutes or so

Comment

Is there a oil pressure curve chart? Oil pressure @ rpm
              Is there such a thing as too much pressure?
              The repair manual show a pressure regulator but no explanation of what it does or how it works

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
                Is there a oil pressure curve chart? Oil pressure @ rpm
                Is there such a thing as too much pressure?
                The repair manual show a pressure regulator but no explanation of what it does or how it works
                The oil pressure regulator is just a spring loaded valve that will blow off around 80 psi and return the excess oil to the sump. Were the plugs clean and white or did they have carbon on them as well, give the engine an oil and filter change and go from there , my guess the engine is using it. If oil is getting past the rings there should be tell tale signs on the plugs, carbon build up and a puff of smoke when you start it. If the engine has used oil all its life the rings may not have bed in properly, if it runs well don't worry about it just keep the oil up to it or try a different brand maby go to 15w 40. instead of 10.

Comment

oil loss ???

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                  The oil pressure regulator is just a spring loaded valve that will blow off around 80 psi and return the excess oil to the sump. Were the plugs clean and white or did they have carbon on them as well, give the engine an oil and filter change and go from there , my guess the engine is using it. If oil is getting past the rings there should be tell tale signs on the plugs, carbon build up and a puff of smoke when you start it. If the engine has used oil all its life the rings may not have bed in properly, if it runs well don't worry about it just keep the oil up to it or try a different brand maby go to 15w 40. instead of 10.
                  thanks for the reply
                  plugs were clean.. last year I had the dealer go through the motor and new plugs- these now have 88 hours or so on them.. and clean.. no fouling..
                  the dealer had me use some fuel additive that would help clean up rings if oil was getting around them.. to no avail.. see if my photo uploads
                  Will try the oil change and see what happens
                  I suspect that there is a gasket letting oil by-pass but not at idle RPM's
                  like I mentioned I ran in enclose tank capturing all water for 15 minutes and at times increased rpm to around 1400-1500 for a brief time after stopping let water settle down and no oil sheen.
                  Last edited by artdf175; 10-20-2016, 06:00 AM.

Comment

update

was out to dealer after running a couple hours .. zero loss of oil at idle
                    lots of loss of oil at 3000 rpm
                    after last run period.. plugs were black..
                    now doing some tests to determine if it is a ring or valve seal problem
                    Art..
                    Last edited by artdf175; 10-20-2016, 06:00 AM.

Comment

was out to dealer after running a couple hours .. zero loss of oil at idle
                      lots of loss of oil at 3000 rpm
                      after last run period.. plugs were black..
                      now doing some tests to determine if it is a ring or valve seal problem
                      Art..
                      It will be coming from the rings.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                        It will be coming from the rings.
                        Agreed....
                        Mike
                        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

well have to see
                          compression check was not good readings 120 to 160 psi was told s/b 180
                          leakage heard in exhaust
                          going to run upper cylinder cleaner and re-do test
                          my question when under higher rpm get higher oil pressure
                          where to pistons get oil to lubricate and where do valves get oil to lubricate?
                          are theire high pressure feeds for both ?

Comment

well have to see
                            leakage heard in exhaust
                            When you done the compression test was the engine hot or cold, and did you make sure the throttle plate was wide open when you done it. If you pull the plugs out and get each cyl to tdc and get a torch with a thin probe I will bet my nuts the tops of the pistons are wet indicating the oil is coming past the rings. When valve guides or seals wear the oil will be sucked down past the valve stem in to the combustion chamber and it will mix with the fuel air mixture and burn. Check the oil pressure, and check the bucket clearance on the valves before some one talks you into pulling it down.

Comment

well have to see
                              leakage heard in exhaust
                              Usually valve stems are lubricated by being bathed in the oil that flows along the top of the cylinder head. This oil is squirted into the valve cover area through the oil journals in the rocker arm shaft (if it has rocker arms) or from the journals that lube the cams. This oil washes over the valve stems and upper cylinder head area before draining back to the sump. It is not under pressure when it's lubing the valve stems. The pistons get oil through the journals that are drilled in the crankshaft, through journals in the rods, piston pins, to the pistons. Pistons are pressure lubed (which bathes the cylinder walls), while valve stems are bathed in oil.
                              Last edited by Harper; 09-28-2013, 11:25 AM.
                              Mike
                              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                              X