Measuring Backlash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring Backlash

I am putting together a DF225 std gear box with new pinion set.

am just wondering how to go about checking the backlash if you don't have the required factory tools to do so

any thoughts?

To check back lash you need a dial indicator, but not only that the gears need to be meshed properly and preloaded best you leave that to some body that knows how to do it.

Comment

redlowrey.

I would but the dealer ship here in Rabaul - Papua New Guinea has done this multiple times for us and i just found out that they don’t have the tools to do this check on the gears..this might be the reason why we keep doing gear box on these engine.

Need to work this out before the parts come in.

Comment

Originally posted by NiVani 1 View Post
        redlowrey.

I would but the dealer ship here in Rabaul - Papua New Guinea has done this multiple times for us and i just found out that they don’t have the tools to do this check on the gears..this might be the reason why we keep doing gear box on these engine.

Need to work this out before the parts come in.
        The first thing that you need is a workshop manual, even for a skilled person you have to be focused. My guess is that they are not setting up correct tooth contact and metal is coming off the gears and prematurely wearing the bearings and gears, mate if I had nothing to do I would come over there for a holiday and do it for you.

Comment

Thanks, Redlowrey, i do have a manual for these engines took a while to find but got it.
          i was looking at the same option, making sure the tooth contact was perfect. and i believe possibly this is what the dealer was doing too. i have now asked the question if the other centres have the correct gauge and tools to do this, and if they could fly it over to do it for me.
          I am all for the professional to do the job, but if they don't have the gear then i am not to sure.

It is hard in remote areas to deal with these engine as specially for the big HP as not a lot of people have them, so we get reliant on our own experience to sort out these problems.

cheers

Comment

found a dial gauge and now i am good to go with testing backlash and shimming to spec

Comment

Working...
            X