No announcement yet.

Suzuki digital multifunction display problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Grant, kindly let me know that if I connect the two male sockets ( SDS and interface ) with ordinary wires. Will this work. I tried but no response. I am unable to find a smis adapter cable at this juncture.

Comment

Yes, you can directly wire the 2 plugs together if you wish. Or you could change the plug on the interface to a female plug. Ordinary wire is fine.

But it is better to buy or make an adapter cable. The SDS port is used by the mechanic to connect to the laptop computer to read engine data codes required for servicing. So it needs to be available. And remember, whatever you do to make the connection needs to be waterproof and heat resistant because it is next to the engine.

You can buy the correct plugs to make an adapter or to use on the end of the interface cable from here: i have bought many items from them and their service is good and delivery quick.

SM-HM

The ones you want are the 4 Position .090 Waterproof Connector. Scroll down a little on that page and you will see them. You can use these to make up an adapter cable or just use a female plug to replace the one on the end of the interface cable. I made my adapter cable using some shielded 4 core wire from an electronics shop.

Sam, i am curious about something. When you first installed your network, where did you plug the interface cable male plug into?

Comment

Grant, since the male connector of interface cable does not fit into the SDS there was an exactly identical connector female located near the SDS. Before I attempted this my colleague has fitted the male of the interface to the connector thus mentioned. One more thing, we tried connecting wires behind the dash and still the same scenario. No response at all. Has the interface gone dead due to a wrong connection done earlier.

Comment

[QUOTE=Moonlighter;12607]Hi again Sam

Option 2: if you only want to have digital NMEA2000 network gauges, NO analogue gauges at all. In this case, there is a procedure to complete in the engine to change the connectors, and this then allows you to connect the interface to the engine wiring harness plug behind the dash. No adapter cable is needed.

Hi Moonlighter,

I have just fitted a new pair of Suzuki 150's to my boat and fitted the Gmi 20's to the dash, I only have the nmea harness that fits to the wire lume behind the dash,
          Do you know the procedure to complete in the engine to change the connectors as you mentioned in option 2

Cheers much appreciated

Comment

One more thing please, pins in the engine interface connector to the leg of the tee are not evenly levelled. One pin has sunk about 2 mms. Is this the nature of the pin or any discrepancy???

Comment

Originally posted by samband63 View Post
              In this DF 70 the SDS sockets colour codes are as follows,

Yellow
              Black/Green
              Orange/yellow
              Black

Now can I couple the wires in following format,

SDS socket----------------- engine interface

Yellow ----------------- Blue/red
              Black /Green ------------ ???????
              Orange/yellow ----------- White only
              Black -------------- Black
              Please instruct me that the Black/Green wire in the SDS above can be connected with the red only wire in the engine interface male socket. We have left this free and tested without any result.

Comment

In this DF 70 the SDS sockets colour codes are as follows,

Yellow
                Black/Green
                Orange/yellow
                Black

Now can I couple the wires in following format,

SDS socket----------------- engine interface

Yellow ----------------- Blue/red
                Black /Green ------------ ???????
                Orange/yellow ----------- White only
                Black -------------- Black
                Actually, the arrangement as follows should work:

NOW EDITED TO CORRECT INFORMATION

The red on the interface needs to be connected to the grey/red on the engine, or in your case, the black/green. If you like, check that black/green on the engine with a multimeter and it should give 12V when engine key is turned on.

The white on interface connects to orange/yellow on engine.

The blue/red on interface goes to the yellow on engine.

You can connect black to black to complete it.

The good thing about those white plugs is that if the pins are in the wrong place, you can lift up the tiny tab inside the plug and pull the pins out from the back, and then move them to the correct slot. They click into place when properly seated.

Your last question about the pins: they should all be at the same level. If one is short, it is not inserted in the white plug housing correctly and needs to be pushed in further until it "clicks" into place.
                Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-26-2014, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Sam, i just saw your recent post regarding how you had attempted to connect the interface to the engine and also behind the dash.

Oh, how I wish you had told us that first!!!! We could have saved ourselves 2 pages of posts!!!

That is the problem all along. It will never work the way you were doing it. Never.

I will repeat: to keep the analogue gauges working, and, at the same time get engine NMEA 2000 data onto a MFD display, you must only connect to the SDS port on the engine, and this requires:

(a) the use of the adapter cable i referred to earlier; or
                  (b) to replace the male square plug on the interface cable with the equivalent female plug, with wiring connections as I have set out in my most recent post.

That is what you must do to make this work. Nothing else.

The pins in the male plug will not work in the female plug. Need female pins as well.

I doubt whether your incorrect attempts to connect the interface cable have fried it. But it is possible. Try the connections as above and if it doesn't work, then it may be cactus.
                  Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-26-2014, 06:14 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Caribbean_2400;12611]
                    Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                    Hi again Sam

Option 2: if you only want to have digital NMEA2000 network gauges, NO analogue gauges at all. In this case, there is a procedure to complete in the engine to change the connectors, and this then allows you to connect the interface to the engine wiring harness plug behind the dash. No adapter cable is needed.

Hi Moonlighter,

I have just fitted a new pair of Suzuki 150's to my boat and fitted the Gmi 20's to the dash, I only have the nmea harness that fits to the wire lume behind the dash,
                    Do you know the procedure to complete in the engine to change the connectors as you mentioned in option 2

Cheers much appreciated
                    Caribbean

No, sorry, i suggest you contact your Suzuki dealer to ask them. I believe there is a bulletin about it. It is not difficult, just unplug and reconnect a couple of plugs and its done.

Comment

Hi. Grant, thanks for all of your enormous supports. The system started reading after the last thread I received about the connections. Great and I really appreciate your support. Sam

Comment

Hi. Grant, thanks for all of your enormous supports. The system started reading after the last thread I received about the connections. Great and I really appreciate your support. Sam
                        Excellent!!!

I do recommend you make up a proper adapter cable or change the plug on the interface to a proper plug from Eastern Beaver. Very inexpensive and they are designed to love in engine bays.

Glad that the cable wasn't fried!

Comment

[QUOTE=Caribbean_2400;12611][QUOTE=Moonlighter;12607]Hi again Sam

Hi. Grant, good day and everything works fine now. As you indicated, I d be grateful if you could pass me the information pertaining to changes and procedure to do up the engine sockets to couple the LMF straight on to two dash connectors. This is because we need a 25 ft cable adapter to couple the SDS and interface as this boat being a long barge. Thanks. Sam

Comment

Sam, i am sorry but I do not have info about the changes to the engine wiring required to disable the analogue signal to the dash and enable digital signal to go there. If you go that way I am unable to offer further advice. Further, if you go that way, the LMF will not display engine warning codes like the analogue gauge does. It is then necessary to add a separate warning code light/buzzer module that adds further costs.

I recommend that you do not go with option 2.

I would recommend that instead of that, you leave the analogue gauges working, and simply make up a long adapter cable to go from the SDS port all the way up to the dash (or nearby) where you will plug in the interface cable and T pieces.

That is what I have done in my boat, a long adapter cable and then all the network connections T pieces etc are up behind the dash. This also has the advantage of keeping the connections out of the weather and away from engine heat.

You can use any decent quality, suitably sized shielded wire to make up the adapter cable. Get the plugs required from Eastern Beaver, as per my previous post. The pins etc are quite easy to crimp onto the wires.
                            Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-26-2014, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X