ECM / no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECM / no spark

I have a 1997 DT 140 . Motor won"t start .It sounds like it wan'ts to go but won't. I've checked all my fuel system right down to pulling injecters. I did a compression test 125,115,120,115. When I did spark test I have spark at #2&#4 nothing at 1 & 3. If i switch power from number 4 to number 3then i have spark at number 3. I think my ECM is pooched. I want to confirmm that i should have spark at all 4 cylinders when i am trying to start. ( not at the same time though )

yes all 4 plugs should be getting spark in turn, im not familiar with that engine but it definitely sounds like a bad ECM if you eliminated all others things in the circuit

Comment

no spark

I have also lost spark. DT150 was running very well pull kid on tube. Stopped engine to change riders and no restart. Engine cranks very strong. Treid a little starting fluid but nary a pop. Check at plugs and show no spark. Took cover off fly wheel to look for loose wires but found none.
      Anybody have an idea?
      Genejoe

Comment

no spark

What year motor do you have

Comment

Originally posted by genejoe View Post
          I have also lost spark. DT150 was running very well pull kid on tube. Stopped engine to change riders and no restart. Engine cranks very strong. Treid a little starting fluid but nary a pop. Check at plugs and show no spark. Took cover off fly wheel to look for loose wires but found none.
          Anybody have an idea?
          Genejoe
          well im not sayin that's it but that is the way ECMs go bad sometimes, they can go out like a light bulb or give you problems such as the original poster has.

it is best described as the brain your electronic ignition for the most part

Comment

no spark

Thats what happened to me. i took boat out of hibernation . new gas fresh batteries. put the muffs on it fired up first turn.turned it of . pulled lower unit to do water pump[It was peeing when I first started it ) replaced impeller and exhaust plate and rubber seal put lower unit back on , Boom no more start. Thats when I checked everything and found no spark on 3 and 1

Comment

How does one check to be sure ECM is bad. sounds like an expensive part.
              genejoe

Comment

Originally posted by genejoe View Post
                How does one check to be sure ECM is bad. sounds like an expensive part.
                genejoe
                its in your service manual and yes it is a very very expensive

Comment

no spark on dt140, 150's

Have twin dt140's, 1999. Experienced no spark on one engine after running smoothly for an hour... Idling for few mins, and quit.
                  Found magnets in the flywheel came unglued and ate my stator/ magneto.
                  Had a spare magneto and flywheel. Replaced and no spark. Found my used stator had a bad low condenser coil in it.
                  I repaired my low cond coil and all worked fine again.
                  Be extremely careful of the epoxy holding the magnets in the flywheel. If any cracks in the epoxy or looseness of magnets, replace.
                  I would also look at the output of all the coils in the magneto, the gear counter coil, and pulse coil as they give the signal to the ecm to fire.
                  A simple ohms/ continuity test is all I did but it lead me to the problem coil.
                  A magneto (about $650) a flywheel (about $750) and am ECM is more, many can be bought used on Ebay, and the factory service manual has tests for all these, except flywheel... That's a visual thing. Message back if not sure of your findings.
                  Good luck.

Comment

spark on only two coils

You can test those coils not sparking,
                    Disconnect the two wires coming from the ecm, swap with the other coils one at a time, have someone turn the key to start (it is best if plugs are out for test), keep impeller wet while turning over too.
                    Can check ecm this way too, just plug the bad coil wires into a good coil to see if it works.
                    Good hunting.

Comment

ecm/no spark

Hi Solarman,

yup did that . pulled #4 wire which i new worked and connected to $3 which does'nt and # 3 would spark. So what im looking for now is an answer to the question, is there anything Ive missed ? is there anything else in the curcuitthat would cause no spark other than the ECM itself? The way i understand it to work is my ECM energizes the coil which energizes the spark plug.

Comment

no spark / ecm

can anyone tell me what the gear counter coil does

Comment

If the gear counter coil has failed would it cause the ECM to fire on only 2 cylinders?

Comment

no spark /ecm

Genjoe you need to check your magneto, and see if all the coils have continuity. If so youPP should check gear counter coil and pulse coil. Have you checked the magnets and epoxy under the flywheel? Any looseness may have damaged one or more coils.
                            Ford-guy, the gear counter coil does just that, it counts the teeth of the flywheel that tells the ecm the exact position of the crank shaft. If not mounted properly distance to teeth out will not give property count to ecm. On the dt 140 there are 2 condenser charging coils, one for low speed and high speed (though I think both work in tandem at wot). And there is a pulse coil. This coil sits 90° from the gear count coil, and I ” think” (not exactly certain) it assists the ecm in timing and advancing timing for proper firing of plugs and fuel injectors.
                            So in answer, ford-guy & genjoe, you both have firing issues... If you have no fire at any plugs, you should check all the items related above before buying the ecm... If you have fire to two of the four plugs, i'm betting it's the ecm.
                            However the gear counter coil can cause the motor to misfire and skip if too far from the flywheel - it has to count each tooth. If missing teeth on flywheel you get the shaft (flywheel about $750ish, magneto about $650ish, gear counter coil /pulse coil about $125 ish each... Ecm ?? more than the rest for sure.)
                            Your service Manuel is the best for testing all these items.
                            Good luck, ill hope for the best. Ebay might save much if Sellers will guarantee parts came from running motors.
                            Sorry I can't be more help.

Comment

ecm/no spark

Thanks solarman, i checked my gear counter "0" ohms. should read 170-250.I'll start there . Yes ECM expensive . Over 2 grand new. I'll buy a new motor before I spend $2000.00 plus dollars on a 2500.00 motor. I can get a 2014 115HP etec installed new controls , gauges etc 11000.00. with a 5 yr warranty.

Comment

Working...
                              X