Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF300 fly by wire trim problems

Hi There.

I have an '07 df300 with fly by wire controls. The trim down function on both controls (both helm and motor) has stopped working. The up works fine. I had the local dealer look at it who told me there is a molded "T" piece in the loom with some electronic control that had stopped working and I had to replace the whole loom to get it going again.

I took the motor home and had a look myself. There is a small glue/rubber filled sleeve about an inch cubed which contains a printed circuit board and what looks like 2 micro relays about 1/4 inch cubed each. One of these micro relays/switches or whatever they are is for up and the other is down. The signal from the trim up or down button goes from the switch on the side of the outboard to this micro relay/switch and then from there to the main trim up/down relay. The one for up works fine. you press the button and get 12v to the micro relay then 12v out of the micro relay to the main trim relay. The down one gets 12v to the micro relay but does not come out of the micro relay.

I believe this proves that the micro relay/switch or whatever it is is faulty. The problem is its not cheap replacing the whole loom and this little unit does not have a plug on it. You can bypass it and have it like a normal motor where the switch on the side of the motor goes straight to the trim relay and it does work in both directions. But I assume they put this little board in for a reason, presumably as separation/protection for the fly by wire system.

Can anyone tell me exactly what it is? what it does? do I need it? and will I cause problems by bypassing it and just having the switches run straight to the relay like most motors.

At the time I had access to a Suzuki 200 and 225 to compare it to and neither of these motors are setup like the 300. neither of them were fly by wire so I assume it has to do with that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

IMAG0324.jpg

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

Hello...I noticed you posted that you had this issue with this micro relay spliced into your harness on your Suzuki engine. No one responded..I too have the same issue...it's stumping all he dealers and mechanics...may I ask how you fixed it??? I tried to bypass it but I popped a fuse...maybe I did it wrong, but I'd love to hear from you...
    Any help or guidance is appreciated!!!
    Thank you..

Comment

In 2009 they put the relays into the ecu, and the ecu sends battery voltage to the main relay, I could not see why you couldn't fit a micro relay back into the loom. Be carful the trim wires go to the ecu for information not to trim up or down, so it would not take much to fry it.

What is actually happening.

Comment

This is A 2007 engine and it still has the regular relay, but also this "microrelay" in-between the trim motor and relay. It's doing exactly as he original poster indicated...it will trim one direction, but not down..
        I'd like to bypass it but wanted to know if it's possible and if there would be a complication if I did...right now no dealer has a clue what this mysterious part is and it may or may not be included in a new harness...the dealer says its not on there and if I order it and it's not on there I'm gonna eat the price...no refunds...kinda shitty deal...
        Last edited by M0nkey; 02-06-2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X