Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The carburetor is leaking gasoline, advice? Outboard Suzuki 25DT (two stroke) year 93

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The carburetor is leaking gasoline, advice? Outboard Suzuki 25DT (two stroke) year 93

Hello,

After many ifs and buts, I did not manage to fix this on my own, therefore I turn it to you guys.

It all started last year when I had problems with the rpm that went up and down etc. Sometime it worked fine, sometime not.
    I did some troubleshooting and removed the cover one day when it malfunctioned and discovered that it was leaking (gushing) out petrol from the top of the three carburetors (it's three cylinder engine).

Then I took up the boat and began to disassemble the carburetor and checked the gaskets, etc., nothing looked directly bad. I replaced a gasket between the top and bottom of the carburetor and I adjusted the float many times.

After adjusting the float about 10 times in different modes and restarting, I finally got it (I thought). It did not leak and I screwed everything up and put the boat in the lake again.
    I was glad that I've fixed the problem, but after a trip later the same error did occur again. I then opened the hood and found to my horror that the middle carburetor had started to leak. I was furious and left it to the workshop during the winter instead.

The winter passed, the guy at the workshop ran it for hours and it worked flawlessly. He said that he could not do anything when it works properly when he was running it. I had pointed out the problem and he knew that it works well sometimes.
    In June, I decided to pick it up, he had said that he screwed some screws that were loose and adjusted the idle screws. I was hoping that it made it, even though I was very skeptical.
    I took home the engine again, bought a new tank and hose to rule out that that was what the problem. I launched the boat into the lake and it went better than ever.
    The second time I was going out fishing the problem started again on the way home. I took off the cover and saw that the top carburetor leaked again.

What the hell can be wrong?

Hint. It seems that it starts to leak after I have been out driving around and fishing for a few hours.

I apologize for bad english.

First I don't know particulars of your motor but let me make a couple of observations
    First do you have the big repair manual for your motor?
    A huge asset in guiding you through problems specific to you motor
    About the only thing that I can think of that could create the problem you describe is a sticky float or bad valve
    Or both
    You mention you adjusted the valve numerous times
    A manual with the right clearances should be followed
    Have you considered a repair kit to rebuild the carbs.
    Being over 20 years old that would be on the top of my list
    Art

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
      First I don't know particulars of your motor but let me make a couple of observations
      First do you have the big repair manual for your motor?
      A huge asset in guiding you through problems specific to you motor
      About the only thing that I can think of that could create the problem you describe is a sticky float or bad valve
      Or both
      You mention you adjusted the valve numerous times
      A manual with the right clearances should be followed
      Have you considered a repair kit to rebuild the carbs.
      Being over 20 years old that would be on the top of my list
      Art
      Yes I have that. But I dont think its stated what angel and so on the valve exactly should be. Repair kit, do you mean like a new valve and floater? Its damn expensive. I could look for one secondhand tho...

Comment

fuel issues

CaRb kits might be more expensive, but they have gaskets and normal replacement parts that tend to wear. You can save money by just buying the needle valves for your motor. Comes with new seat.
        If your problems are trash getting into the needle valves, then you should fix that first. If the problem is sticking needle valves, open or closed, then maybe the barbs need cleaning and needle valves might need replacements.

Comment

if new needle valves are installed

You should go by the book and reset the float adjustments. If over flowing at anytime during running there is a trash or adjustment problem.

Comment

Suzuki 2 stroke outboards

I have had similar problems and you have to know when you are finally out of your skill level. I had similar problems and after the mechanic looked at it and adjusted the floats and rebuilt the carb, with NEW GAS, the motor ran great. Now all I have to do is figure out what gas additive is the best. Bad gas, I think is most of the problems with these Suzuki small outboards.

Comment

Working...
            X