Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF175 alarms going off and shutting down

Hi,

I have a 2011 DF175 with 63hours on it. When on the plane (particularly around 3-4000rpm) all four alarms on the Suzuki analog gauge go off and then the boat rapidly decreases in rpm and stalls out. Sometimes the alarms go off and the boat doesn't stall and I can continue driving for a couple of minutes before it happens again.

It happens at random times, sometimes after an hour of operation and sometimes after five minutes.

The dealer has checked it and no error codes show up on the laptop. So far we have replaced the entire fuel line and system from the tank to the motor but it didn't help.

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on with the motor. The dealer is scratching his head and I'm now starting to wish that I repowered with a Yamaha.

I will let others with more knowledge of the 175's chime in, but that does not sound like a fuel problem at all to me. It sounds electronic or electrical.

One thing we know with these motors is that they must have good power and that without it, these kinds of weird problems are the result.

Check all connections in the wiring harness to ensure they are properly connected and that no wires are corroded or damaged. Also make sure the batteries and connections and grounds in particular on the motor are all clean and tight.

Comment

DF140-Check -Eng -light-beeps

Has anyone experienced 2004 DF140 check engine light blinks and it beeps about every 10 seconds ,and idles rough . Before this it has always ran like a top.it pumps water fine

Comment

Originally posted by IkeHanks View Post
        Has anyone experienced 2004 DF140 check engine light blinks and it beeps about every 10 seconds ,and idles rough . Before this it has always ran like a top.it pumps water fine
        please start your own thread and not derail someone elses attempt to get help

Comment

I'd be inclined to check all the connections and leads from the battery to the engine, including the isolator switches - this sounds to me like an intermittent break in the main circuit. Probably a very simple fix, at minimal cost. Suggested simple test: with boat tied to pontoon/mooring whatever, fire up engine; wiggle all connections in turn starting at battery. When engine stops, that's your suspect...

Comment

Oh, btw: I've had an instance where the key in the isolator switch was slightly too short to make a good reliable contact. Solution: use another key - or put a shim on the end of the problem key...

Comment

I would agree with the electrical issue
              That is about the same description of what I experienced
              Ultimately turn out to be a corroded out connection off the pig tail of the battery switch the the main power source to the dash and starter key
              There have been other posts that deal with this main power source and it ends up being a bad connection
              When you check the splice joints be sure to put a good tug on them
              As in my case the connector holding onto the insulation was the only thing keeping it from falling apart
              Art

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I rang the dealer today and he reckons he checked all the electrics when he did the fuel line. Suzuki are now going to replace the whole ecu under warranty and hopefully this fixes the problem. I am also going to double check all the electrical connections myself and see how we go.

Comment

Ok so I have checked all of the electrical connections as per the above recommendations and they all look fine. I started it up and wiggled all of the wires and the fault didnt occur (mind you it was only at idle and not under load). I also checked the white ecu wire and it all looked ok as well (it runs from my common terminal on the three way battery isolator to the motor). Could the problem be the ecu? Seems a bit poor for a six month old motor.....

Comment

Well, electronics like ECU do fail sometimes, and if an electronic component is going to fail, it will usually do so very early on.
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

whatever you do

Don't mess with too much that might void the warranty. And make sure it's fixed prior to warranty running out. That's for sure.
                      It does sound electrical. I have found poor continuity on 2” sections of wire with male and female plugs. Your motor doesn't sound old enough for corrosion problems. Can the dealer hookup the laptop while running in the water to experience the problem?
                      Good luck.

Comment

I had EXACTLY the same problem. See the thread below. Good luck and let us know what happens.
                        http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...tor-stops.html

Comment

Working...
                        X