DF225 throwing 3-3 code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF225 throwing 3-3 code

Kind of a mystery, beeper and trouble light is indicating 3-3 code which indicates a neutral switch fault but the engine mounted neutral switch checks out as OK with the ohm meter. Swapped out the ECU from another boat and still getting the code. Other symptoms, engine will start and idle in any shifter position and the engine will stumble and not go over about 1200 rpm when in gear and underway. The engine control at the helm has no neutral switch so the two brown wires in the Suzuki cable are simply connected to each other and that has been working fine since the repower 6 years ago. Anyone have a clue? I don't think its the neutral switch as I've tried bypassing it with a switched patch cord and all symptoms remain in fault. Simple circuit is driving me a bit crazy

since no one else replied my thoughts
    get a new control /gear shift unit..
    the wiring is critical to have the unit start up in gear is just plain dangerous..hence the neutral swith ..
    the neutral swith is a simiple on/off switch
    in neutual the power is on the ECM detects the shift position and the power goes off in forward and reverse
    how the ECM detects the power also effect the fuel injection, ignition, high pressure fuel pump and starter motor
    there are a lot of things going on, besides safety issues,
    Art

Comment

Thanks, the symptom of the engine starting in any shift position is new with this problem. It heretofore only started with the control in the neutral position as the resident engine neutral switch has been on the job in spite of the engine controller not having a switch. Looking through my notes when I did the repower I see where the dealers mechanic said it was ok to not have a neutral switch in the controller since the one on the engine is there for the purpose required.

At any rate, I've ordered a new switch for the engine even though the existing unit checks out . . . time will tell.

Comment

You either have not checked the switch properly, or the neutral switch wire coming out of the ecu is going to ground between the ecu and the neutral switch. Art thanks but no thanks.

Comment

Thanks for that Red, I'll check that circuit - Bob

Comment

Well it was a bad neutral switch in spite of it seemingly functioning properly based on the continuity test procedure outlined in the service manual . . .

Comment

Good that you got it sorted. Not an expensive part either!

And thanks for reporting back.

Sometimes the simplest and most obvious things .... have heard of a few of these switches failing. Something for others to be aware of.

Comment

Does the neutral safety switch in the binnacle always pass power back into the harness thru the ECM?

I'm having similar problem on a 2001 DT140 that is driving me nuts

Comment

Working...
                X