1986 DT85 gear case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 DT85 gear case

I have a crack appearing in the gear case. Just in behind the collar. I have been told I can't repair it or find a replacement case. Has anyone had experience with this problem. If I can't find a part, can I weld to prevent it getting worse, while I save for another motor?

at this point I don't see where you have anything to lose by trying to weld it and the only thing I see as a problem would be if it wasn't a good seal on the end cap to keep water out.

if it doesn't hold your still needing a lower unit and you haven't lost anything but time.

I would only be concerned if where the crack is, if its going to allow any "slop" in the bearings and gears or not.

the question is, why is it cracked in the first place? did you hit anything with it that you can remember?

Comment

Gear case.

I haven't hit anything since I have owned it, the guy at the boat wreckers says it is common and due to corrosion not being cleaned every 12 months. I am with your train of thought, nothing to lose by trying.

Comment

not sure what he was talking about, I think he was confused because there is nothing to clean in the lower unit so he must have been thinking it was the crank case you were asking about.

Comment

I have found an epoxy used by plumbers called farope. Commonly used for patching tinnies up north qld. Have heard of it saving motors in far worse state than mine. 2 pac adhesive, you can even sand and paint if you are worried about looks. I will post if I have success, might be handy to know

Comment

Spoken like a true Nth Queenslander! A length of fencing wire and a screwdriver, can fix almost anything or at least get you out of trouble!

I have also used Selleys "knead it" epoxy in the waterproof version on my old tinny, filled a few holes and 5 years later still sealed up fine.

Comment

Working...
            X