Power trim issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power trim issue

Power trim goes up fine on my 2005 dt 140 but going down works only after hitting the switch many times or holding it down for a long time. Some times it will not work at all. I go back to it after a while and it will go down after playing with the switch again many times. I've tried both switches ( the one on the motor and the one of the throttle) and they both act the same.
    Is it the motor? Or
    The control unit thing I see listed in the parts diagram?
    Or????
    Any help is greatly appreciated.....
    Thanks

trim issues

I had a similar problem on one of my motors. No up trim, checked everything, nothing worked.I ran a test wire from my switch on the throttle to the solenoid, and it worked fine.what I found was a bad plug connector. If corrosion or just a poor connection at one of the ends you end up not getting the trim. I traced it to a male plug right above my main harness connection (where the trim solenoids on my motor are). I had no continuity between that male plug and a female plug on the same wire 2” above. A wire connector on your motor may be the same problem.
    Easiest way to find this. Take a solid wire (about 14 gauge) couple feet long, strip insulation half inch each end, plug one end along side of the first connector (inside the plastic protecting the plug), and touch the same post on the down solenoid with the other end. Then press the tilt switch down, if it works, have someone try the control tilt switch. If everything works, it is the fist plug. If not, leave the wire in the first plug, and plug the loose end into the next plug plastic protector, then take the first plug and go to the third plug connector, and work your way back one plug at a time. If your solenoid is good it will be one of the plug connectors. Stay with the same color wire, if it splits in two, try one side then the other. I'm not sure of your color wire, mine was light blue for up.
    Let us know what you find.

Comment

its always the opposite relay that is the problem so if you are having problems with the trim down then its the trim up relay that is not working correctly.

check the wires as solarman suggests and if you have good clean connections and the problem is the same when using the remote trim switch and the control trim switch then you have a bad trim up relay and you need to replace it. I don't think its a wiring issue or you wouldn't be hearing it clicking.

most people get tricked into replacing the wrong relay because its bass akwards the way the relays work so whatever trim isn't working its the opposite relay causing the problem.

mine did the exact same thing and the problem would come and goo and work fine for weeks sometimes and in the end it was bad contacts on the trim up relay causing it not to go down until I clicked it 15-20 times.

new trim relays cost like $100 and they are such a heavy duty built part that they rarely ever go bad so you can buy a good used one off of ebay for $25-$30 and save some money
      Last edited by keakar; 07-23-2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Similar issue.. it was a bad switch on the side of the motor..
        throttle controller switch was ok.. but the one on the side of motor had been compromised with water
        art..'

Comment

Similar issue.. it was a bad switch on the side of the motor..
          throttle controller switch was ok.. but the one on the side of motor had been compromised with water.
          art..

Comment

Power trim issue

A new relay for $108.00 fixed the issue.
            Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
            X