Hole in Midsection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole in Midsection

Hey yall, so I picked up an older DT30 outboard on craigslist the other day for cheap. The only problem with it is it has a hole in the midsection where it connects with the lower unit. It would allow water into the exhaust chamber i think. Is that a pretty big problem? I read about welding it with a torch because it is only aluminum, any input on that would help too. Thanks,
    -Adam
    Attached Files

what is the year and exact model? maybe someone here knows a source for replacing it.

you should be ok because I would think you could get your money back selling the lower unit and complete powerhead assembly if its in good running condition and you cant find a replacement midsection for it.

check ebay and look for salvage yards and you should be able to find a midsection for it. as for fixing it, I don't think so because it needs a sealing matted surface to allow the exhaust to flow correctly and I doubt you could do a good enough job to not have more leaks.

unless you have the complete broken off piece to weld it back in place so you don't need to recreate the sealing surfaces, forget repairing it and find a replacement midsection.

Comment

Not sure the year
      Attached Files

Comment

Even if i got it professionally welded, you dont think it would be ok? Id like to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asaurey View Post
          Even if i got it professionally welded, you dont think it would be ok? Id like to fix it.
          you got nothing to lose by trying but exhaust pressure in the wrong places can have all sorts of issues including preventing the motor from getting good water flow. if the exhaust leaks it forces exhaust pressure into the water jackets in the opposite direction shutting down all water flow and burning up the engine, a small leak can do the same but go unseen and just stop water flow at higher rpms.

as long as you make absolutely sure 100% the exhaust seals tightly in metal to metal contact with no leaks you might be ok, I just don't see it sealing well without a professional machinist doing it and you cant just put gasket gunk on it because it will blow out.
          Last edited by keakar; 07-24-2014, 10:29 PM.

Comment

There is no seal between the lower unit and the midsection so water is in there anyway...at cruising speed that part is out of the water so it will drain, but at idle that cavity has water in it anyway

Comment

hole in midsection

The hole can be welded, and that side of the engine appears to be where the shift rod goes up to the power head from the gear case. If there is no damage to the gear case, the hole shouldn't cause a problem. The exhaust passage is on the other side of the water pump. if the water pump is in good condition, and the water tubes are connected and good, there shouldn't be a problem with the hole where it is.

Comment

Working...
              X