1987 dt 150 super six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 dt 150 super six

Hello all, my name is Joe and I have just purchased an 89 javelin with an 87 dt 150 super six. The boat has new carpet, new upholstery and a pretty decent new paint job. I got it really cheap so im worried about a few things.
    The motor cranks easily and sounds very powerful and idles nicely. My concern is that the oil system has been removed and the guy I got it from says he has been mixing oil 50 to 1 ratio. Is that correct for this engine?
    Ive noticed a post about this and it forced that guys engine into a safe mode to protect the internals. Hoping not to have this issue.

My other concern is that the little fin above the prop has a crack in the actual housing. Looking online at a parts fiche to replace this would be replacing the entire lower housing. When should I worry about that crack? So far its only on the fin above the prop and not in the housing so no threat of allowing any of the internals to be exposed or to leak any oil.

As I mentioned before this is my first boat so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Could you guys let me know what you think of this year and size suzuki? Is it reliable or worth rebuilding if I have issues or should I beware and srart looking for something to replace it with?

Thanks for reading my scatted thoughts everyone.
    Joe
    Last edited by joedelk74; 07-26-2014, 12:32 AM. Reason: add picture

87, dt150, oil system disabled, and crack in fin

Joe, the motor you're buying is 21 years old, if the oil injection system was removed, did they remove the monitor gauge also? There are sensors and the ecm/ computer that in, clude the oil system, was all of this removed as well? What was the reason to have removed?
    Did they disable the alarm and diagnostic system?

The crack in the fin may be repairable? Might have to take to an aluminum weld shop to find out, many fins can be repaired, or replaced.

Know this is an older motor, hopeful you're not paying a great deal for it? Unless complete and all systems functioning, it probably wouldn't be worth much.
    Good luck.

Comment

87 dt 150 super six

Had to have water pump replaced but finally got it out on the lake today. Solar man, I gave 1500 for boat and motor. Someone painted the boat and replaced the floors and upholstery. Pretty solid. The wife and kids had a great time today. Two issues I am going to have looked at by a local mechanic are first the buzzer keeps beeping every few seconds. Is there a way to disable the buzzer? The motor isn't hooked to any of the gauges at all and all of the oil injection parts have been removed. Second issue is when you take off it runs and acts as it should but once you get about half to 3/4 throttle the engine starts to shake like its under pressure. I could feel it they the steering wheel but not like it was going to shake out of my hands or anything. Spoke to a friend and he said could be several things like possibly bad gas or or a bad plug. I've only got 1500 invested so far but I don't want to break the bank on an old boat either. Would like some feed back from you guys so I can point my mechanic in the right direction. Also let me know if there is a way to kill the buzzer. Thanks!

Comment

Own 5 suzuki engines

prop may be unbalanced causing upper rpm vibration

Comment

87 dt150 ss

Could the motor be to low? It looks low to me. When trimmed all the way down how should I know the perfect height?

Comment

The best (only true) way to check correct engine height is to run the boat at a fast cruise speed, trimmed out to the normal bets position, and go down the back and look at the cav plate.

It should be just skimming the surface. That is perfect. Getting splashed is fine. But if it is buried under water, engine is too deep and should be lifted.

Comment

Working...
            X