1998 DT 150 stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 DT 150 stalling

I cant start the engine without revving in neutral. Runs great in the open water but stalls out when I attempt to troll or dock the boat. it will not idle in neutral for more than a minute or two. Any suggestions. I don't know very much about outboards.

stalls at low speeds, won't idle

Is this a carb'd engine, does it have efi, or carbs?

Comment

dt150 won't idle.

Ok, you have the efi motor. No carbs. How old its the fuel. Has the motor been used recently? Did this just start happening?
      Have to be a little descriptive, you are our eyes and ears here. We will try to assist in diagnosing problems, but we work from what you tell us.
      If you're not comfortable with trying to do that, then you would be better taking to a Suzuki dealer for the problem.

Comment

Was only ran one time last year by the previous owner. There was a 1/4 tank of gas in it and I added 40 gallons. Put gum out in the gas but it didn't improve. It runs great in the open water but will only idle for less than a minute in neutral and will stall if I slip it into gear. As soon as I get to about 5 mph (didn't notice what the rpm was) it starts running perfect. Feels like the idle isn't set high enough.

Comment

dt 150, idling issues

Have you a good shop manual?
          There is a way to adjust the idle, but usually once set the ecm controls from there. the shop manual would be best for that. You say it runs good in open water. It is helpful to know the RPMs when starts giving problems. If you're not mechanically inclined, it might be a good idea to pay a Suzuki motor technician to do a tuneup. Let him know the problem too. There are several areas that can cause poor idling, the TVs (throttle position sensor) sensor, the low pressure fuel pump, the vst (vapor separation tank) may need cleaning? The idling is controlled by the ecm, TVs, timing and fuel systems.
          Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X