New Install - Stuck at 4-2 Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Install - Stuck at 4-2 Code

Just finished rigging an 05 DF250 and can't get it to crank. Getting a 4-2 beep code for crank position sensor.

So far I have...
    -Jumped the engine side neutral.
    -Jumped the control side neutral.
    -Checked battery cable connections and ohms

What's next? The fuel pump fires up when I turn the key but nothing happens when I turn to start, no relay click, or indication that it is trying to start.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Svence

Only one way to do this ... systematically. Start tracing where you do have power, find where you don't have power. Check the fuses? 30 amp fuse to starter, but check all the fuses, with a continuity check, not just visually. Check the kill switch. Granted, electrical gremlins are a PITA.

The 4-2 CKP code shoud not prevent a crank, only prevent firing. Not sure why you get that. It could be a fluke, but if it points to a resaon for the no crank situation, I don't know what it would be. Does the code come up when you first turn the key to "on", or when you turn the key to "start"?

Let us know what you find.
    Last edited by Harper2; 08-01-2014, 10:17 AM.
    Mike

Comment

crank position sensor

A crank position sensor will not work of the sensor itself is bad, or if it is not reading its mark on the flywheel. The sensor tells the computer where the pistons are and exactly when to fire each cylinder. It should work anytime the key is on. Check the sensor and its mounting to see if either is bad. Also check the sensors wiring.
      Last edited by Solarman; 08-01-2014, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Key turned to on-
        Tach pulses hours
        Check engine starts flashing
        Fuel pump kicks on
        Beeps 4 2 code

Key turned to start-
        Nothing, no click, no turn over, nada

I'll start with fuses.

-Svence

Comment

Got her fired up! Messed with engine neutral switch some more and got it running.

Now blinking check engine light and beep beep. It's like two and then a pause. Can't find that in the book. Also random, but when you turn the key to on, should all four lights on the tach blink, only three come on and not sure if I have an LED out.

-Svence

Comment

More to diagnose here. Flashing check engine when ever key is in ON position. Two beeps when in ON and not running. Once running the beeps stop but the check engine keeps flashing. Haven't splashed her yet, but will run up to 3K in neutral as she should.

-Svence

Comment

How long has it been since you changed oil?
              There is a 100 hour reminder alarm
              And did anyone reset this reminder after the oil change?

Comment

I ended up resetting the oil change alarm and that cleared it. The only issue is, I am pretty sure the oil light is supposed to flash, not the check engine light. So now I have to double check the wiring on the gauge.

Are all four lights supposed to flash when you turn the key on? Now only three do, the temp light doesn't flash.

-Svence

Comment

Glad that worked
                  I don't have that gauge so I am not familiar with the light sequence
                  Might look online to see if you can get an owners manual
                  Art

Comment

At great expense to management, i just went out into the shed and tested this for you!

All 4 lights came on when the key was turned to the on position. At same time, long "beep" sounded.

No charge!

Comment

Originally posted by csvencer View Post
                      I ended up resetting the oil change alarm and that cleared it. The only issue is, I am pretty sure the oil light is supposed to flash, not the check engine light. So now I have to double check the wiring on the gauge.

Are all four lights supposed to flash when you turn the key on? Now only three do, the temp light doesn't flash.

-Svence
                      You are correct. It's the oil light that will flash as an oil service reminder, not the check engine light. When you turn the key to on, all four lights (oil, overtemp, voltage, CEL) should come on solid for 2-3 seconds, along with one solid long 2-3 second beep. Once these shut off, it would be followed by an engine hour readout indicated by a needle deflection on the tach.

The 2-2 code is for the air intake system. It indicates a manifold gasket leak, or an air leak at the IAC or the MAP sensor. When you splash the boat, there should be an RPM reduction coupled with this code also, limited to 2000 RPM max. This would be to help prevent damage to the engine from running in a too lean condition. The code will flash and beep with the key off because the fault was detected the first time you ran the engine, and will remain until the problem has been corrected, and the engine (ECM) has sensed the corrected fault the next time that the engine is started. The beeping can be shut off when the engine is not running by pushing the key in. The light will continue to flash.
                      Last edited by Harper2; 08-03-2014, 09:52 PM.
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X