2000 DT200 no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 DT200 no spark

This is the first year my motor gave me trouble. Last launch, it started and ran at low speed for about 20 mins, then just quit. checked various things and found no spark at ANY of the cyls. Went thru all electrical connections, especially grounds, on the motor. pulled the flywheel magneto and removed the stator. Did the specified testing according to the manual and found the low speed condenser charge coil (LOW) is defective. My question: will that bad coil by itself cause no spark at all cyls or do I need to do further testing? I appreciate any and all help.

low speed charging coil problems

The low speed charging coil does exactly that. It energizes the low speed condenser in the ecm to be ready to fire each cylinder according to the rest of the timing signals.
    So in answer to your question. Yes. It will not fire any cylinder if no signal is given. My dt140 did exactly that. The high speed charging coil takes over somewhere above 2500RPMs, not sure exactly the RPMs.
    Did you look closely at the magnets of the flywheel? are any magnets loose, epoxy cracked that holds magnets?
    My epoxy was cracked but magnets seemed fine, but idling one day it just quit. I found the magnets came loose and ate my magneto, just chewed it up.
    Is there any visible signs of damage to your low speed coil? I had a used magneto from another motor and found low speed coil not working. No one would rewind the coil (it is removable from the magneto if carefully done). So the magneto that got chewed up, the only coil not badly damaged, yep, low speed coil. I removed and peeled off About two yards of wire, till I found continuity, re-soldered it back up, taped it up, put it back in the good/used magneto, and my engine ran like a top again.
    A new magneto about $700. If you do an online search of the exact part number you need, chances are one might show up.
    Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Solarman. When you unwound that coil, what were u looking for? Could u see a break in the wind?

Comment

low speed coil

Had a small spot that looked like a small screw driver hit it.very small. But I thought at almost $700 I'd give it a try. Started peeling from the outer most wire little by little. The layer of varnish was the hardest, but after that it came off one wrap at a time. Had to keep checking for continuity every few wraps I undid. After about 2 yards I got continuity. Peeled back another 3-4 inches folded the wire three times, twisted it together (for strength). Cleaned the end, soldered back together (just like it had come apart), wrapped it with masking tape to keep it secured, placed that coil back in the magneto after carefully soldering the wires back together. Put the magneto back in, flywheel back on good and snug, but not to tight. Turned water on and it fired right up. I was shocked it worked!
        I got lucky, but many coils go bad because they burn the wire, and nothing can be done for that except re-winding.
        If you have a surface scar that might have damaged the coil wire, it's worth the experience. If not, best bet is google your part number with the name of ”stator” and ”magneto”, it is called both. don't buy if it wasn't working when motor failed, and if pictures of it look scraped up, or damaged. Try to get guaranteed free replacement if doesn't work, also ask for ohms readings on all coils, this will help you to know it was working previously.
        Good luck.
        Please remember, I have a dt140, and it may not be identical to yours, but should be very close to your magneto. It does operate just like yours. Good luck, and keep us informed how it all goes. Oh, ball park of price online for used about $150. definitely worth it.
        Last edited by Solarman; 08-05-2014, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Just an update. I bit the bullet and bought a brand new stator. Put it all back together, hit the key, and it took a bit, but it started and stayed running! :d:d i need to get back on the water. Maybe wed. I want to say thank u again for the help solarman and anyone else who took a look. You guys rock!!

Comment

ruining again

Thanx Ollie, we are no different than you, we have fought this fight with our own motors and those if us here decided to offer what we can to help others. Glad you are running again. Hope you can enjoy, but if a problem, let us know all the details, and we will try to help.happy boating.

Comment

Working...
            X