DT20 ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT20 ignition

Hi, I have a DT20 2-cyl (1988 or 89) with electric start and remote control,
    Motor hasn't been used in a bout a year, it was stuck when I got it.

After a can of WD40 and careful back and forth jerking of flywheel the does spin freely. Pulled the head and cyliders/pistons were fine. Carb also cleaned and good to go. Reed valves also ok.

I got it to start couple of times, though it wouldn't idle at all, had to pump the throttle to keep it running. Next day I tried to crank it again but it wouldn't start, only ignites just that the starter disengages but nothing more.

I had a spark before, but now it seems nothing can be seen. Stop circuit disconnected, rectifier disconnected, nothing.

I measured the coils under the flywheel, I assume they are ignition source,pulse and lighting(charging). source and pulse about 100-200ohms, lighting just few ohms.
    The CDI is the model with enclosed ignition coil (32900-96340).

Can the condition of the coils under the flywheel be determined with resistance? Or do they need to be "energized" (running)? If the resistance is ok can they still be faulty?

I've read that the CDI unit is quite bulletproof, can it be measured somehow?

I have downloaded the repair manual, but it does not cover 2-cyl DT20 with this CDI unit, wiring diagrams are also different from my motor (european sold).

any help?

dt20 euro sold

Best I can offer. You should try some euro sites to download your manual. Then you have something to go by.
    The magneto/ stator creates magnetic pulses, transferred via the counting, timing, and pulse coils. They should all have an ohms reading of various amounts depending on their wiring/ construction. Your best bet for testing is a manual for your motor.
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
    X