Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 DT200 - RPM and Tachometer Question

Hello All,

I have posted this in a couple other places, so my apologies if you've read about my plight elsewhere

My DT200 has been an awesome motor and has been brought back from the dead at least once or twice, and I'm hoping that whatever I'm up against this time isn't anything too serious.

It seems to me like the actual engine RPM and the reading on the tachometer are not the same. I don't have a timing light with tach reading, so I'm only guessing based on my knowledge of what the motor sounds like normally, but I am estimating that the tachometer is reading 2x the actual engine RPM.

I recorded a couple videos that let you hear and see the engine as well as tach:

Suzuki DT200 idle trouble 1 - YouTube

and

http://youtu.be/ybgDQ-JdErI

I have a manual, but it must not be a good one or the right one, because I can't find anything about the mechanism for measuring and reporting RPM.

In the process of troubleshooting another problem, I removed and cleaned the oil flow sensor and screen, but did not bleed the oil pump. I ran the motor for about 5 minutes. Obviously I will bleed the oil system next.

Because the RPM's are so high, the rev limiter is kicking in and I think about 3k RPM (which really seems like an actual rpm of closer to 1500) is about all she's got right now.

My plan of attack right now is to:

1. Bleed the oil pump / system / lines
    2. Check spark on all cylinders
    3. Investigate the throttle position sensor

What else should I be looking at? Are the above items the right things to be checking at this point?

Thanks all,
    Chris

RPMs dt200.

Think I would disconnect the throttle cable before I change anything, the cable may be hanging up causing the fast idle.
    You might also check all the wire connections for the tach, as sometimes poor conductance can act like a resistor and change the tach reading. Good luck, and let us know what happens.
    Last edited by Solarman; 08-08-2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
      Think I would disconnect the throttle cable before I change anything, the cable may be hanging up causing the fast idle.
      I really appreciate the reply. I'm going to get up there this weekend and give it a go.

I'll keep you posted and let you know what I learn.

Does anyone have a link to a repair manual for this engine? It's a 1988 or 1989 DT200. I have a document called "Suzuki Outboard Workshop Service Manual - All Motors 2 to 225 HP YEARS 1988 to 2003"

Is that the best manual / shop / repair guide for this motor?

Thanks!
      Chris

Comment

I am not sure on the shop manual.. I would think there may be a service manual that covers just your engine.. I have a 175 and the book I have for my engine also has the 150 as it is basically the same motor..
        but.. check the back of tach gage
        mine was reading all over the place
        it had a brass type adjusting lever used for differnt types of input
        there was a slight corrision issue that by moving it off center and back corrected the issue
        Art..

Comment

Working...
        X