X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 DT40 Won't Start

hi y'all

I have a 96 DT40 and it won't start
    when I apply 12v to the motor relay it starts, when I push in the key before I turn it I hear a click
    it seems like there isn't 12v getting to the starter relay, if I short the starter terminals on the motor relay It starts right up. If I apply 12v to the starter relay it starts right up -- I think it has to be the key or the fwd rvs switch in the control.

I've held the key down and worked the fwd rvs back and forth thinking it was off center

and I checked the fuse next to the relay
    got any ideas? What to check next?

thanks

John Kruse
    Last edited by Kruser; 08-10-2014, 03:03 PM. Reason: fuse

check the key switch is getting and sending power to it because it could be a bad switch or the wiring connections in the control box may have bad connections or a bad wire in the wiring harness from the control box to the relay.

if you have 12v going into the control box switch and coming out then run a new wire from the start relay to the control connection where you have power.

get a service manual so you can see which wire from the switch is for the starter so you can test it for power
    Last edited by keakar; 08-10-2014, 04:39 PM.

Comment

yup

I think I'm going into the control box next -- thanks the only other thing is the neutral switch on the motor if there is one

Comment

no power at start solenoid

Kruser, I think I might do a quick continuity test between the wire going to the solenoid and the main plug harness going into the motor first, might save trouble. That should tell you if in the controls/ switch, or in the motor. Then do as keakar mentioned, test the voltage coming off the switch wire that goes to the solenoid.
        I have had one bad connector on a 2” piece of wire, cause me grief because the plug end wasn't making a connection with the wire. Just below my solenoid. And i've replaced my switch, because it quit sending voltage as well.
        I have twin dt140's - double trouble. Lol
        Good luck.

Comment

Thanks!!

thanks guys it was the neutral switch in the motor

Comment

Working...
          X