Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypass neutral safety switch? DT140

I have a new to me 2001 DT140 along with a Seastar binnacle shifter control
    I have what I believe to be a standard suzuki wiring harness.
    I've been trying to wire up the same, I cannot figure how to wire in the two connectors coming off the neutral safety switch that is part of the control.
    Can anyone tell me how to bypass the switch at the engine so I can get it running?

This may also help me figure out how it gets wired in.
    Thanks,
    Jim

there was a thread on this recently
    use "advanced search" function "neutral switch"

DF225 throwing 3-3 code thread started on 7/9/2014

that may give you a start
    Art

Comment

neutral switch

If you have a neutral switch on the motor, then why do you need one on controller? Do you have the wiring diagram that came with the controller? It might only need to be wired if the wire harness previously had wires for it because the motor didn't have the neutral switch on it? ?

Comment

Still looking

I'm continuing my saga with getting my new to me 2001 2stroke running.

I've ruled out the neutral safety switch at the binnacle but don't know where to look next.

When I turn the key to the first position I hear the primer going, to the next position the engine will crank strong but I get no spark.

Any one have a suggestion?

Comment

dt140, EFI??

Is this an EFI dt140?? Or does it have carbs?? It makes a difference on diagnosing problems, if we're talking about different motors.
          Is this a new problem resulting from putting this controller on?
          Was this motor running on the previous boat it was on?

Please enlighten us with some details on this motor, and what you have done thus far.
          It is difficult for us to read minds here on this forum. Some of is have a bit of knowledge that we enjoy sharing, but we have you at the helm, and without the ability to put our healing hands on your motor, we deal with your insight on the problem.

I would normally ask someone that has this problem to take an ohm reading of the low speed condenser coil located on the magneto. To find it you have to pull the flywheel off the motor, and look for the 2 coils on the front of the magneto, near the starter pinion/ bendix. The 2 coils look different than the other charging coils. So, take your ohm meter and test for continuity on both of those coils, and let us know what the readings are for both. You can call the coils starter #1 (closest to starter), and starter #2 (farthest from starter). Look at each coil and follow the wires to the connector.
          Let us know.
          Last edited by Solarman; 08-14-2014, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Here is where I am

This is a carbureted motor
            2001 DT 140 purchased about. Year ago along withe binnacle
            This motor ws running like a charm on the boat it came off

I wire it all in that's why I initially suspected the NSS at the binnacle.
            Contacted gent I purchased from and he never had it wired in from the binnacle.
            I have not tried anything else yet
            Will take ohm meter reading as soon as I get back to the boat
            I don't have a wiring diagram for the conTrol

Comment

dt 140, 2001, carb'd Suzuki

Ok, now we need to go different direction, my previous diagnosis is for the efi motor.

To start with. On this motor, when you say you have been wiring this motor up, what is it you've wired?
              Have you changed any wires on the motor at all?
              Do you have a wiring diagram for the monitor gauge, tach, key switch, tilt button, and any other items left to wire? Can you download one?
              Did you get all these items listed above?
              And I'm not quite sure what this controller is, think you could post a pic here of it?
              Let us know.
              Last edited by Solarman; 08-15-2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

What i did

So I purchased this motor used along with the complete wiring harness.
                I watched the gentleman take everything apart and when putting it back together I utilized all of the open plugs except for two, these he used for getting 12 volt powere to accessories like his GPS
                So I believe most if not all of the harness is wired up correctly.
                I contacted the previous owner who also gave me the binnacle control an he said he never had the binnacle wired in except for the tilt/trim
                I did not modify any wiring
                I have a wiring diagram from a service manual but does not match up exactly to what I have.
                I have all the items listed and the monitor gauge/ buzzer work, the key switch works and the tach jumps when I attempt to start and the motor turns over.

Thanks again for all your help

Comment

wiring issues, dt140, 2001

Are all the wires to the switch connected to same color wires on harness?
                  Are any wires to the switch not connected, loose? And the colors of wires if not connected. Ill look at my dt140 manual to see if they match mine, it is an older motor, compared to yours.

Comment

All wires ar accounted for

All wires from the switch were connected to their corresponding Color in the harness.
                    No wires were left open

Comment

dt140, wiring & running issues

Ok, if you are certain no spark at any cylinders then we should check the magneto. If you have a shop manual, you will need it to test these coils, and timing/ pulse coils, gear counting coil, low speed condenser coil and other coils under the flywheel to see if they are still ok. You can use an ohm tester/meter to treat these.tell us what all your readings are for each. The manual wiring diagram can tell you each item.

Comment

I have the manual and will run those tests

Comment

Working...
                        X