2001 dt225 not powering up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 dt225 not powering up

The starts and idles ok. I can get to 3000 rpm and it will run but skip every so often. It will not power up to 4000 or beyond without chocking back or missing. I have put a new CDI on and it has helped a little. Can my throttle sensor be causing the problem and/or is the stator also part of the problem. What
    OHM reading should I see when I test the throttle sensor. Thanks

dt225, running issues

To start with it could be fuel related. if it starts & runs and idles up to about 3k RPMs then starts acting up. Then need to check fuel system first.
    Lines, filters, even low pressure fuel pump(s).
    Need to know what you find with these items.

Comment

I only use non-ethanol fuel. I have changed all of the fuel filters and checked the vapor separator. It was clean and working. I haven't checked the fuel pressure yet. The issue just happened suddenly coming back in from fishing. It just bogged down and wouldn't run over 3000 rpm. I did have someone pump the fuel bulb while running to make sure fuel was flowing but it didn't have any effect.

Comment

dt225, running issues

When you checked vapor separator tank (vst) did you remove the needle valve and seat to look for anything that might cause a partial blockage, small pieces of plastic?? very common type problem lately. Also there is a small cone shaped filter that feeds the high pressure pump, located at bottom of vst on the line that goes to the pump. Then there should be another filter off the high pressure side of pump before the going into the fuel rail. Check these items for us, and let us know.

There are areas in electrical that we can check, but it still sounds fuel related right now.
        Good luck.

Comment

I replaced the cone filter, the other inline filter with the cartridge and the other metal filter. The vst was clean and working.

Comment

dt225, running issues

When you checked vapor separator tank (vst)did you remove the needle valve and seat to look for anything that might cause a partial blockage on the backside of the seat, small pieces of plastic?? very common type problem lately.

Comment

I took apart the vst cleaned and checked everything including the needle valve and the opening it sits in and made sure the float was loose and rocking.

Comment

Dt 225, running issues

Again, did you remove the seat? The same problem has occurred several times, and when they unscrewed the seat, and checked the back side of the seat, small pieces of clear plastic was the culprit. I'm not telling this for no value, it has happened enough to ask that the seat be removed to check it.
                Good luck.

Comment

The low pressure fuel pumps are a possible cause...I just recently found 3 of the 4 check valves broken. They cannot be replaced-2 new pumps at 95 each. You can check your fuel pressure fairly easily. You need a 1/4 inch pipe tee and about 10 foot of 1/4 fuel line and a couple of hoseclamps and a 0-50 or 60 psi pressure gauge. Undoo the output line from the fuel pressure regulator to the fuel rail. Plumb in the tee, the 2 in line go to the regulator to the rail and the 3rd port has the line that runs into the boat and connects to a 0-50 or 0-60 psi fuel gauge. If you get enough hose to reach the control quadrant, you can monitor the pressure yourself when your issues start. Turning on the key should show about 35 psi...that should remain stable for the entire range of engine operation. If you maintain 35 psi when your engine starts to miss......it is not a fuel related issue. Do a search for missing at speed by seaox230c...long and detailed....my issue was the main stator coil but it took forever to rule everything else out

Comment

Thank you for your help. I am going to try and check the fuel pressure today. i read the seaox info and it helped. I found and replaced one of the cone inline filters but it was mentioned there is another on the other end. The one I checked was filthy. Need to look for the other one. I think the stator is the problem but will need help checking on that. Running out of places to look.

Comment

running issues

A great read, seaox230c. And it may come down to the same problem here, but need to go through the hoops and do the checks, and maybe rule out the less costly repairs before biting the big one like you had to.
                      I have to admit your abilities with electronics are impressive. And I would not have believed the high coil would break down the way yours did.

Good luck WW.

Comment

seaox230c,

Tried the p.mess. feature, guess you have it turned off in member options.
                        Impressed on your thread ” missing at speed”.
                        Last edited by Solarman; 08-23-2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Replaced the charge coil/stator and it is running better than ever.

Comment

running better than ever

Glad to hear it's running again. Did you buy new or used magneto?
                            Hope you have many more hours of enjo
                            yment.

Comment

Hi, I accepted the requests...I appear to have private messaging turned off and am not sure how to turn it on..until then contact me any way you can if you need more info

Comment

Working...
                              X