Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everybody

Hello all!,
    I'm Darren from the Netherlands, europe. I'm new here and would like to introduce myself- I've a Campion Explorer boat that cost me my savings but love it to bits. The main water that I use it on is the Rhine in Germany/Holland, It can take me straight through the country(about 70 miles) to the North Sea to do some Bass fishing.. Anyhoo, I'm hoping to wise up to the Suzuki DF40, I'm a tehnical person but outboards are a new "animal" to me.............

Willkommen, friend. Hopefully you'll have years of trouble-free cruising with your litle yacht, but we're all here to help if you need it.
    Mike

Comment

Thanks...........................I go out quite often on it, it's great fun- I'll take somme pikkies for you lot...........

I do have a small niggling problem but it seemed rude not to introduce myself properly first.............

My motor wil not rev above 4500-4600RPM, either with an external or on-board petrol source with fresh petrol.......It runs/starts perfectly up to 4600RPM, thats it............

Oh- it's a 2001 DF40 with 200hours on the clock.......

What should it rev out to?? Can anyone of the Gurus help me.......please

I've had the injectors proffensionally cleaned and tested+new sparkplugs.
      Last edited by Drrnjns; 08-29-2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

RPM at WOT should be somewhere around the mid-5000s at least, up to 6000 RPM. Might make sure your throttle cables and linkage aren't preventing full throttle. Also, do you know what prop is on the motor (hopefully stamped on the prop hub somewhere)?
        Mike

Comment

I shall have a butchers hook(look) later on and get back to you, cheers-Dar

Comment

Hello again,
            I've been fiddling with the gubbins a little, first I loosened this connection and turned the plastic banjo bolt 2 whole turns(first pikkie and although I have the idea that full throttle was full throttle and it was properly adjusted), to no avail- exactly the same- running perfectly at 4600RPM,(4400RPM going "uphill" in the rhine at about 8MPH current).
            When I trim the engine to cavitate it'll instantly red line at about 7000rpm(to the rev limiter and limit shows on the dash).
            I couldnt find the nr on the prop, I measured it at 1 ft 19/32 inch or 32cm diameter-(2nd pikkie).

Comment

Well, the prop diameter is fine for that motor, so we need to consider pitch. I can't quite tell if it's an aluminum or stainless steel prop from the picture, but it looks aluminum to me. In any case, it seems that you'll have to try experimenting with less pitch. In your case, I realize that might not be easy, but it may turn out to be necessary even so. Your best bet might be to spend the money on a prop that has an adjustable pitch, so you can experiment with that instead of trying to buy a prop that ends up not solving your problem on the first try. I have no experience with these props, just know of their existence. Someone else might chime in and have more ideas. Anyway, here's a source for the props from across the Zuider Zee (Sweden).

Propulse – English | Fuel efficient and variable pitch propellers for outboard engines

I'm not sure of the cost to you, but there's another source on the internet from Australia who sells the Propulse variable pitch prop for your motor for 307 Aussie dollars.

You also might try to find a shop locally that can rework your prop.

.....and an afterthought.... it does not require anything near wide open throttle to redline your motor when it's lifted high enough out of the water to ventilate. So with that in mind, and to return to the throttle linkage... did you disconnect the cable and throttle rod from the bell crank and see if the throttle plate would open any farther?
              Last edited by Harper2; 08-29-2014, 06:27 PM.
              Mike

Comment

***!- Many thanks! At least I know that there are no issues with the motor- My boat is quite heavy for its size,(Pure Quality)- I thought I was asking too much of the old girl- Maybe instead of spending loads of dosh on a new prop- I could first try a bigger motor-
                Does anyone know where I can score a decent 2nd hand outboard motor +- 150-175hp? Here in the Netherlands prices are crazy because of the taxman, so it looks like I'll be shopping in The States.......(love Texas BTW- been there many times, lovely people)..................so if anyone has any decent motors/tips.......

Comment

Dar, I just posted another reply in your thread that has been flagged for review before being posted (because it had three links to retailers who sell Suzuki outboards). Because having a post reviewed and actually posted sometimes takes weeks (and sometimes NEVER) I just thought I'd add this real quick.....I've thought from the first time I saw the picture of your boat that it was way underpowered, but you didn't mention that re-powering was an option. You can do an internet search and get an idea of prices in the US and even some that are closer to you in Europe or the British Isles, and there are always decent used motors popping up, too. I would honestly suggest that you look at all brands before you decide. I like Suzukis, but the others are also good motors. I do most of my parts buying from Performance Product Technologies ("Google" it) because they have the best prices on the net. They also sell outboards of several brands, and they appear to have some of the best prices for outboards, too. Some of the websites that feature new and used boats for sale also list used outboards, so look around. You should be able to find something that meets your needs. By the way, your choice of 150-175 HP should work well with a boat the size of yours.
                  Mike

Comment

possible upgrade on motor

Dar, if buying used from anywhere, make sure you get the entire package with your motor. You should get the motor, wire harness, and all gauges & controls that belong to that motor. If buying new, all of those accessories will also be included. If not sure about something ask Harper 2 - Mike.

Comment

Ok Solarman, will do, I'm looking aboot at the mo.
                      A new outboard motor DF175 in the States is the same price as a secondhand one in the Netherlands..............(a new DF175 will cost $22 300 here in the Netherlands), it's crazy.
                      Trouble is trying to get it here without the customs finding out.............

Comment

Working...
                      X