starting issues..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting issues..

My 2002 140hp Suzuki started fine when I went out in it a few weeks ago. After being out on the water, the motor would not turn over nor would my trim work. Just figured it was bad battery (2 yr old battery). Bought new one at Wal-Mart. Went out the next weekend to first fishing hole without issue. Tried to go to next spot but again, motor would not start nor trim would not work. This is with brand new battery. Hooked up trolling motor battery to see what would happen. Motor started! When I got home, I put the new battery on charge but it was showing 100% charged already. Any ideas what is causing the motor to not start? Is something draining the battery? Is it a fuse? Is there an alternator on this motor causing this issue? Thanks for any help.

stating issues, 140

Sounds like a bad connection either at the battery, or at the starter solenoid. Clean the wires at each location, reconnect and see if still having issues.
    If still having problems check continuity on each of those same wires. If it happens again try one lead of jumper cables from battery to the starter solenoid where the battery cable goes. If the trim works then, the starter should also work, and it's probably a bad end on your battery cable. If it doesn't happen again then cleaning the connections may have fixed the problem.
    Let us know what you find.

Comment

starting issues....140hp

I cleaned the terminal connections at the battery. Started the motor a few times today to see what would happened. Started every time. Would like to look at the connections at the starter solenoid. Do you have a snapshot pic of the starter solenoid so I can make sure I am looking at the correct item?
      Last edited by DaddyCrab; 08-30-2014, 11:46 PM. Reason: title

Comment

starter solenoid

Just follow the positive battery cable, it will lead you to the solenoid.
        Let us know if any more problems with it.
        Also, make sure there are no loose connections/ wires at either end.
        Last edited by Solarman; 08-31-2014, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X