1999 115 not starting - help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 115 not starting - help please!

My fiancé and I bought the boat on Friday evening. We took it out yesterday for the first time and ran for 2 hours with no issue until we went to load up. The boat cut off and wouldn't turn back on. It turns over, but won't start. At first we thought it may not be getting fuel. We worked on it a little and found the bulb to be bad. We replaced and we are definitely getting fuel into the motor now. (We did test it in a clear container and found the fuel to be good). Then we thought maybe no spark? Checked it with a screwdriver and we are getting spark. Changed the plugs this morning. Still nothing. We have checked the kill switch as well. The motor will turn over still but just not start? Disclaimer: I am clearly not a mechanic at all!!!! He works on trucks but we're at a bit of a loss on an outboard. Any help would be super appreciated!!

Thanks!
    Danielle

Update: We put fuel in the intake area, then it started to bump over but won't turn over. We haven't put fuel in there since and it still is bumping over? Could it be the fuel pump?

Comment

99, dt115

STOP!! DO NOT TURN OVER ANY MORE!

What might have happened is something under the flywheel came loose.
      Remove flywheel and inspect for any damages.
      Have to send quickly.
      Let me know what you find, do not put back together yet.
      Is this a carb motor or fuel injection (EFI)
      Last edited by Solarman; 09-01-2014, 04:56 PM.

Comment

dt115, quit running

That's just what my motor did. Have twin dt 140efi's on my cat. was idling after an half hour run and my port engine shut off. Well it didn't want to turn-over at all. Well I moved the flywheel by hand a little, and felt free again so we hit the starter. Wouldn't fire at all. Took the boat home and tried again. Looked at all the outsides of the motor, wiring, plugs, throttle body, then around flywheel again, the gear counting coil looked like it was touching the flywheel. No, but magnet pieces were stuck all over it. I pulled the flywheel and found my magnets had come loose, and chewed up my magneto.

That's why I said not to turn it till you check.

Let me know where you're at with yours.

Comment

Well, we feel like idiots.... He knew it was starving for fuel, but being a new boat to us, we couldn't figure out how to give it gas while starting. When we opened the throttle, motor wouldn't turn over. Well one of his friends came over, pushed the release on the side of the throttle while starting the boat. Boat immediately started. We've turned it on several times since without the need to give it gas. Works perfectly fine now. We think the previous owner hadn't run it for awhile. While we definitely feel dumb, we're also glad it seems to have been something little! Thanks for your help!!

Comment

running again

Thnx for the update. Was worried it was doing the same as mine did. $1600 later for magneto and flywheel. Not good.
            Happy boating.

Comment

Working...
            X